Scared rat ...and the saga continues.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya, you've got that right Jack's Girl, he really doesn't know how to be a social rat. I have a neuter scheduled for him on the 21st. I hope I'm doing the right thing for him.

jorats said:
Ya, you've got that right Jack's Girl, he really doesn't know how to be a social rat. I have a neuter scheduled for him on the 21st. I hope I'm doing the right thing for him.

Poor little dude. :(

How is Isabelle with the other males? I am assuming that she gets on well with the others?

Let's hope the neuter helps the little rat man. If not, you may be faced with placing him in a solitary cage.

Some rats just aren't social. Like people, there are some who are extremely fond of company... some who tolerate company... and some who just cringe at the mere thought of company. ;)

Heck, without the variety... life would be pretty boring. :laugh4:

Isabelle is living with Radar and the two together are the best couple ever. But she can be a little witch when it comes to accepting neurotic rats.

You are right that some rats don't do well socially, but I also believe that a neuter can help correct that.

Just thought I'd throw in some pics.

Captain and friends:

Groupcage_edited-1.jpg

Groupcage2_edited-1.jpg

Groupcage3_edited-1-1.jpg

and troublemaker Jorge:

Jorgecage_edited-1.jpg

Aw sweet pics. His eyes look... worried?? concerned?? I can't place it. Not relaxed.

What would happen if you put him in with the old crew??

I love the 2nd picture! Geez, they look so happy together there....
What a beautiful sight to walk up to that cage and see all those cute little faces!

I love your bunch Jo!... Nessie's a total media whore in that picture!! ME ME MEEEEE!!! haha

How's the situation going? Any more intros, and hows sweety Captain??

Oh and pass on this message with scricthes... HIII ANDYYYYYY!!!! OOOOOOO scrit scrit scritchhhyyyyy

heehee, I gave Andy a hello pat for you.

Well, things have been pretty good in the cage. I'm very surprised, no fighting, no running, some light screaming but nothing majour. I even caught Captain trying to play with Nessie, he was doing the happy head shake.
Mmm... I might just rethink that neuter. Maybe he's socially delayed and is just now coming into maturity? In a couple of weeks, he'll be 7 months old.

Maybe he is just a little slow at developing those social skills and maybe his hormones have not balanced out allowing him to be social and happy.

I think my Sunflower is that way. But instead of being scared of everyone she starts the fights and then gets her feeling super hurt when they snap back at her. She gets this awful look on her face like someone just stepped on her, but yet she continues to go at the rat that attacked her, WEIRDO!!! She is about 4 months old. Every time I hear a blood curdling scream it is Sunflower back into a corner with either Ivy or Rose just going at her. I tell whoever it is to back off they do and she goes right back at them doing the sideways swipe. I gave up if she wants to instigate it than she can have her bitter medicine to.

Give OL Captain a few weeks and he may be the King of the cage by then.

He's like those really socially awkward kids in high school that just want to be like the popular kids. HEHE

jorats said:
heehee, I gave Andy a hello pat for you.

Well, things have been pretty good in the cage. I'm very surprised, no fighting, no running, some light screaming but nothing majour. I even caught Captain trying to play with Nessie, he was doing the happy head shake.
Mmm... I might just rethink that neuter. Maybe he's socially delayed and is just now coming into maturity? In a couple of weeks, he'll be 7 months old.

Awwww...this sounds very promising :mrgreen:

So this Friday is fast approaching. Captain is scheduled for his neuter but the little bugger went all nasal congestion on me. So I can't allow him to go under like this. He's being treated so hopefully in the future he will get done.
While I was pondering this affair, I saw Jorge come out of nowhere and pounce on Captain. The neurotic little bugger just went nuts and started flipping which resulted in a big gash on his butt. So I grab Jorge out of the cage to put him in his jail cell for an out time. I think Jorge will take Captain's appointment. But still will be doing Captain when he's feeling better.

Rats... :roll:

Here's Jorge in his jail cell:

Jorgecell.gif

jorgecell2.gif

Back