Scared rat ...and the saga continues.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
I need some input on an idea I have. There is much discord in my young cage but only because of Captain. He's scared of any rats that go near him. At first I thought it was only Jorge but it's not. Just this morning I ran to the cage cause he was screaming bloody murder and it was Nessie, my tiny little girl bullying him. What was she doing that was so bad? Rubbing her romp on him. :roll: Meanwhile he's shrieking like a banshee.

Jorge has an appointment for a neuter on Dec. 4th. But I don't think he needs it. I'm thinking of bringing Captain in for the neuter instead. My sister has told me that her males that were neutered all became quite happy.
So... will neutering a scared rat help him overcome his anxiety to the other dominant rats?

Man o Man, what a dilemma. Maybe getting neutered will help Captain be happier in that he won't feel the need to make a stance when someone tries to play with him. I would think that if Jorge is only picking on Captain maybe it is because he is trying to get him to play and not be so unhappy. I don't know much about boys.

My neutered boys are total targets to the feisty girlies. But they don't seem to care.. you should see Lani harrassing Bear and big Tucker mon. :roll: It's possible a neuter may work out. Do you have a gentle old rat cage you could intro him to just in case? He acts more like an oldie than those scary young'un's...LOL.

Poor Captain...so confused. :p

The only thing that worries me is Radar, he's very um, loving with Isabelle, the big goof will walk up to her and just plop his whole body down on her and squish her to the side. Isabelle, simply turns her head and starts to brux.

jorats said:
The only thing that worries me is Radar, he's very um, loving with Isabelle, the big goof will walk up to her and just plop his whole body down on her and squish her to the side. Isabelle, simply turns her head and starts to brux.

Why don't you try anyways? He might just be overwhelmed by those "nasty" bouncy brats you have him with, and with nice calm rats might be okay?

Like Rennie, when I put her with nice sweet laidback rats became very laidback herself and the Wildmom was gone :D

Yeah, so he might be really protective of her? But you never know Captain may fit very well being that he is calm and a loner. Gotta give it at least one try. Maybe Isabelle and Radar's love will brighten the little mans life.

Since having Luke neutered he has calmed down in the aggressive area. I don't know if he was scared beforehand, the reason I am relating this to you is now he is scared of Merial. The smallest, youngest girl in the bunch. Could be because Luke lacks his social rat skills and has never been around rats, we're working on it. But last night we started real intros since it has been 3 weeks post op and he howled a few times from her trying to play with him. :roll: He also is leary of the others but she is the one that has approached him the most at this point.

Thinking of getting him and Stewie to live together beforehand to pick up some social skills and bond.

Radar's neutered but still a strong male. Hard to explain but he's the boss.

mamarat2, that's my other fear, I know I've seen some males become quite chicken after a neuter, lord knows I don't want to make Captain more scared than he already is.

I'd be hesitant to neuter Captain for that reason. His energy is making him a target, and neutering him could stress him out completely and just make him a target all over again. I suppose it COULD work, but I'm kind of doubting that his problems are hormone based.

I'd like to hear how an intro with Isabelle and Radar go.

:(

It's a no go. I had them out on the couch, things were ok, until Isabelle turns on Captain and takes a chunk out of his back. :cry:

I think he's sending off bad signals, neurotic signals and it's bothering the rats. Right now he's back in the cage with the dirty monkeys. I'm re-scheduled a neuter for him... my old spot was given away so now it's not until Dec. 21st. At least it gives me time to think up of new strategies. I really don't have any time for a 4th cage and 4th out time. :(

Aww, poor Captain. It's not easy being neurotic. You'd think Jorge would be nice to him now tho since he's just saved Jorge his macho-hood...

Geez, all that trouble to get Radar happy in a social situation and now Captain... Kids :roll:

I wish you could talk to him and say, "Hey Captain, if you weren't so freaked out, they wouldn't pick on you and you wouldn't HAVE to be freaked out!"

Sheesh... ratties need to learn human languages :(

From what little I know, I think that would be the correct action plan, Jo.
Seems like your little captain is feeling threatened... maybe he hasn't sorted out where he fits in the social order of things yet. But hormones can't help the situation any.

Back