Scared of new CN Cage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, I have 1 rat named Strawberry that I took in. The cage I got him in was small so I ordered the giant CN cage but when I went to put him in he grappled onto me for dear life. I left him in there for 10-15 minutes to see if he’d calm down but I could tell he was extremely nervous. I ordered some things to fill it with that haven’t come yet so it’s pretty bare. Also I still haven’t covered the plastic trays so I think he doesn’t like those. He also won’t go near the ramps. Can anyone advise how I can get him comfortable in this mansion I’ve purchased for him? I’m a first time rat owner so I still have a lot to learn but I love the little guy more than I could have imagined.Thank you -Charline

Attachments

• 862C721D-BA2D-4173-BAAA-A182CF2C8675.jpeg
    862C721D-BA2D-4173-BAAA-A182CF2C8675.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 127
Are there items that were in his smaller cage that you can put in the big one? Perhaps some familiar smells will help him calm down. Putting some kind of treat on the ramps may help him realize they aren't a threat. I had a rat that hated new things, and he wouldn't accept a new house until I put a little bit of peanut butter on one of the walls.

I just remembered something: I did have a rat named Bianca who wouldn't go into my rat cage until a week after I got her. She was pretty small at that point, so she wasn't comfortable going down the ramps at first. During that week, she preferred her ten-gallon tank, but I left the big cage on the floor with the door open so she could get used to it. She was also albino, and her vision wasn't very good, so that could be why she wasn't comfortable with the ramps at first. It could be that your new buddy needs a little more time to get used to you and your house's smells before tackling an extra new environment, as this seemed to be the case for Bianca on top of what I mentioned before.

I just remembered something: I did have a rat named Bianca who wouldn't go into my rat cage until a week after I got her. She was pretty small at that point, so she wasn't comfortable going down the ramps at first. During that week, she preferred her ten-gallon tank, but I left the big cage on the floor with the door open so she could get used to it. She was also albino, and her vision wasn't very good, so that could be why she wasn't comfortable with the ramps at first. It could be that your new buddy needs a little more time to get used to you and your house's smells before tackling an extra new environment, as this seemed to be the case for Bianca on top of what I mentioned before.

I left the cage open this afternoon and just like you said he started exploring the bottom level on his own a bit! He’s been going back to his small cage at night. I’ll let him explore a bit more on his own and wait for the stuff I ordered to come before I put him in there officially. Then hopefully I can introduce a new rat buddy to him witch will be another obstacle I’m sure!

Are there items that were in his smaller cage that you can put in the big one? Perhaps some familiar smells will help him calm down. Putting some kind of treat on the ramps may help him realize they aren't a threat. I had a rat that hated new things, and he wouldn't accept a new house until I put a little bit of peanut butter on one of the walls.

I’ve added all the things from his cage to the large cage and he’s starting to go in there more. I think he’s starting to adjust but I’m still letting him go in and out at his own will. Reading these forums has made me realize there’s a lot more to rats than I thought and I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed.

You could put his old cage in the bottom of his new cage and leave the door to his old cage open, but close the doors to the new cage. That way, he has his safe place to run to, but also has the new cage around it, so he gets more familiar with it faster.

Back