Scabs and cuts

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA

I wasn't sure where to post this but I have a concern. I have started noticing scabs on Ruby's back, tonight we found some slice scratches which are probably no more then less then half a cm long. Now Ruby and Hazel are sisters and they never harmed each other. Although since I got Lily I notice she rough plays with Hazel a lot but I have rarely seen her go after Ruby. They still remain to sleep in the same bed together happily I would say and I don't see blood on their blanket at all. I will continue to watch them but I am really at a loss at what to do. Ruby doesn't seem to be in pain, she doesn't hide or squeek when you tough them. I don't see any signs of scabs or cuts on either Hazel or Lily.

I also notice that Ruby was grooming Lily tonight. So I wonder if it is infact Hazel, but I don't see that either.

Any ideas?? Is this something that I should be concerned about??

My first thought would be time to do a mite treatment. Each time I find scabs on a rat which is quite unexplained, I treat them and it has always put a stop to it.

Ok, what do I do for a mite treatment?? Also should I do all three of them?? Should I clean the cage at the end of the treatment or after I do the first treatment? THis is my first real 'big' thing with them.

Yes, absolutely do all three and a big cage scrub down as well as all play areas. If you have a good vet, I would ask them for revolution, it's quick and easy. If not, you can get Ivermectin. Some vets can give them a shot of Ivermectin and then they would need it again 8 to 10 days later.

I've been reading up on Revolution, do I make sure to get the kittens and puppy's one which is the smallest dosage? If that's so how to I measure it to put it on.

Also I know the girls have been on my bed (on top of a think comforter but still). Ruby was on the couch last night, how do I treat my furniture?

Which ever Revolution you get, it doesn't matter, Shelagh can work out the dose, just let her know which strength it is. Then you'll need a needleless syringe to dose it and same as a dog at the back of the neck.
Your couch a good vacuuming, your comforter in the wash with hot water.

Ok so I found out I can't get revolution without seeing a vet. :roll: But then I think I expected this. But on the plus side the vet here in our area who deals with rats (exotics) only charges $48/visit. YAY :dance: I asked the receptionist if I would be charged more if I brought the other two in she said she would find out and call me back. Well even if it does cost more either way, Ruby is the only one showing signs with scabs and such and when I have the revolution I will have to treat all of them anyways so it doesn't really matter. I can just bring Ruby in.

Now I am wondering if I should just bring all three with me for the ride or leave Hazel and Lily at home? Maybe bring all three and she'll check them out for free hehe. So poor Ruby has to wait until Wednesday but at least she will be taken care of, I feel so bad for her. :( It must be terrible.

Jo thanks for all your help.

I always take a companion when a rat goes to the vet. Let the vet know they are just the companion but they often still look them over :wink2:

Revolution is very very easy to use...one tiny dose on the back of the neck (I actually part the fur between their ears and put my dose there, distract them for a couple of minute4s so that the meds absorb thru the skin (there will be residual wetness but thats normal).

The difference between dog and puppy/kitten is the actual strength (dog is 120 mg and puppy is 60 mg), but the meds are the same just in smaller or larger amounts. I can easily give you a dose based on weights if you PM me during the week during the day (still no 'net at home :()

Thanks Shelagh, I will take all three of them with me. No point leaving one at home to go nuts. They said they might do a scraping if they found something to see if they could figure out exactly what it is. That of course would be an extra $30. OH well it's all in having a pet.

I have my appointment on Wednesday at 10 so I will let you know then.

I agree, scrapings are a waste. Tell them you don't want one done. Unless they are real jerks and won't give you the revolution without having a scraping done.

OK thanks, I read about false negatives and I was wondering if it was from the scrapings so that's why I mentioned it. I will tell them no (yay saves me $30)

I called today and the the assistant asked her about the scrapping and she said she didn't feel comfortable enough to just give me a perscription without doing the scraping if she felt a need to do it. So I said that was fine, if she felt the need she could do it. I will tell her tomorrow that if it isn't necessary then I don't want one done. This is the first time I have been to this vet and she doesn't know me from a hole in the ground. Oh well. As long as I get Ruby healthy that's all that matters. My poor angel rat. :(

Once you've established a good relationship with a vet, then it will come easier. Hopefully the vet will recognize that you do have a lot of rattie knowledge and perhaps let her know that in rats there are lots of false negative and that you would still like to proceed with the treatment, that is if the vet decides she doesn't want to treat because of the negative result from the scraping.

This is true.

But I have a question for everyone though. Out of the people who have dealt with mites etc before. Have you ever just seen it on one rat. I have my three and the scabs started about 3 weeks ago on Ruby (there was one, then two, then more, now here are for sure two on her back, one on the top of her neck and one on her side, a bunch down her spine). But the other two have nothing at all and haven't. We have been checking them thoroughly.

Are there any diseases/things that are specific to PEW's? I am just so confused why it's only her and it has been only here for 3 weeks.

Let me know. Thanks

You can't see mites but you can see lice.

In my cage of Sophie, Nessie and Cande, only Sophie had scabs and cuts. I finally treated them and it completely went away.

I've read that most rats can live comfortably with their mites until their immune system weakens and become affected with an over population of mites. This would make sense why only one rat is affected.
One of the mites must have told all the mites that Ruby tastes the best. :lol:

Ok, we just started to panic that it could be something else... maybe worse. But thanks for being so patient. I will post when I get home from the vet.

I don't think there are any other diseases or illnesses that causes scabs and cuts that I'm aware of. Unless it's a dermal problem like fungus... if the cuts and scabs would become worse, turn into a lesion, then yes it could be something worse, like allergy or skin cancer.

A way to find the scabs on rats that may seem they don't have any, get them completely wet. Then you can easily part the hair to look in between.

Back