Scabbing on front legs

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Ayva

Hi my rat Spencer has scabbing on the inner parts of this front legs.
Lately he has been sneezing and very sleepy... Very unusual for him to be like this as he is ussualy very energetic.
I don't know if he is barbering himself to much or if their is something else going on please help
PS. I only got him and his brother 3 weeks ago and they're about 3 months old now

Could you post a picture? He could have mites, which can cause scabbing and hair loss. It’s not unusual to see the symptoms in one rat and not another because they bother them when their immune system is down.

I would get a vet appointment soon because he may have a respiratory infection as well as mites from his weakened immune system. If you hold your head up to his side and listen to his breathing, are his lungs making any odd noises? Comparing the sounds to the lung sounds of his brother might help you tell.

You also would need a vet appointment to get a prescription for Revolution, which is what you would use to treat mites. This way, you can check out both issues in one appointment.

Is it actual scabs or is it just red? If its just red, try to wipe the inside of his forelegs with a damp cloth and see if it comes off. Porphyrin transfer when a rat grooms over their eyes/nose and it will stain the inside of their forearms.

if there is too much porphyrin and he's acting tired and not well he likely has a respiratory infection brewing. Hold his sides to your ear (like a phone) and see what you hear. Normal breathing is very quiet or just a gentle whoosh of air. No crackles, wheezes, gurgles etc

Last edited:
Back