The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henishry

Hello!

Earlier I made an at home saline solution for my rats abscess. It is made of 4 oz of distilled water and 1/4 tsp of sea salt.

Is it safe to spray this solution near my male rats genital region? Will the salt cause an infection? Also, would adding a small amount of tea tree oil be beneficial or is that toxic to rats? And can the tea tree oil cause an infection since I will be spraying it near the genital area?

If anyone happens to know the answer to any of these questions, I would really appreciate it!

Thank you!!!

the saline is fine for anywhere but the eyes. I have a boy who is riddled with abscesses and I use saline for all of them. I have used it many times for preputial gland abscesses which I am assuming you are dealing with. Saline solution will get into the nooks and crannies of an abscess cavity, help breakdown thicker material inside and will dry out the tissue promoting healing. Don't use tea tree oil on your rat.

Back