Sad news.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirby

So unfortunately, after taking my sweet Lexi to the vet the other day, she's been diagnosed with a cancerous tumor. Since she's well on her way to three now, and showing her age, the vet felt surgery would definitely be too hard on her now, and so she's been put on some Metacam, and some Baytril + ointment for a little scratch she had on said tumor. This is my first time dealing with something like this in a rat, and it's got me pretty glum to say the least. (I raised her from a little baby, so she's my baby at this point)

AD878804-A44F-4ACD-A256-C28515E886E1.jpeg DB7DE4B2-54EE-4B92-991C-9AB7E1080EA5.jpeg

How long did your ratties generally last with this sort of thing? I'm hoping to get a bit more time with her until she A. Passes on her own, or B. I notice it affecting her quality of life, end up having to take action myself. Currently she seems to be doing well all things considered, so she's getting extra spoiled haha.

Where is the tumour? How big is it?
Is it external or internal?

It's on her belly, and I believe it's internal. Originally I thought it might have been an infection, since it looked just looked like her belly was swollen, but upon more investigating, and having my vet take a look, we confirmed it to be a tumor. It takes up a good chunk of her belly, right around where her belly button would be, and it's big enough that it gave the impression that her belly was sagging when I discovered it.

Awwww yes. Internal tumours are awful. They can push organs around, adhere to things causing pain so it's best to let them go when they show signs of difficulty. I'm sorry.

Awwww yes. Internal tumours are awful. They can push organs around, adhere to things causing pain so it's best to let them go when they show signs of difficulty. I'm sorry.

:( I am so very sorry
I hope that you and Lexi still have some good quality time together

Yeah. Poor sweet girl. I'll definitely do what's best for her when the time comes.

As for right now, she's still quite active and has a good appetite, and doesn't seem to be slowing down just yet. She enjoyed some juicy strawberries with me tonight, and had some fun digging for treats with her sisters. : )

Back