Ruby Alpha??

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA

I always thought Ruby was the boss in the cage. But I never did see what we normally call alpha behaviour. Last night Ruby went right up to Olivia, Ruby shoved her head underneath Olivia and Olivia started to groom. Ruby moved around and took the grooming. So this I would say is alpha behaviour but Ruby also puffed her fur up. Then after they stood on their hind feet and did a little pawing and then that was it.

Is it what I think it is. Ruby is infact alpha?

I'm not an expert but it kinda sounds like Ruby would be the alpha if the was going the puffing up the fur. I know when I got Emily and Mischa who were babies, Gloria (older girl) acted very aggression to them. Doing that fur puffing and breathing really heavy almost like a hissing or something.
She'd do that even on neutral ground sometimes, so big time Alpha reaction and territorial. It wasn't until I moved to my new apt for university that Gloria finally accepted them.
Weird how that is lol Raina my other older girl didn't mind them at all, she took on the Aunt role really well.
If she's taking grooming for the other girl though that's a good sign.

They all get along really well. And Lily finally has a playmate that will actually play fight with her which is good. I was just confused by the puffing of the fur. She didn't huff or hiss, just looked like she was demanding a grooming with puffed fur. Maybe she was saying "I'm boss, groom me!'

Bronwyn said:
That's what I would think, but I've never seen a rat puff. I wish you had a photo, hehe.

Lily does it a lot now when she and PEARL play fight. How do I know it's all in good fun, they are sleeping together in the next 5 minutes.

I will try and get a picture Bron of Lily poofed. Also if you check out Jorats newest video of her boys you can see I think Davis poof up.

In my video, Davis does do it but not as much as some rats get. Some rats can get twice their size.

LA, it's usually not a concern, especially like you wrote, 5 minutes later they are sleeping together.

I think Lily likes play fight and is happy Pearl will oblige her, but I don't think she likes to lose. LMAO.

Wayne was telling me one night (I was washing my hair so I could hear this), Pearl was bugging Ruby and Ruby just turned around on her and let our a screech that Wayne interpreted as "PISS OFF" Pearl high tailed it away from Ruby so fast Wayne said.

His comment was 'Ruby rules with an Iron Squeek'

Back