Rose's health update

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riana

As you know, Rose has been sick for a while, and my previous vet wouldn't treat him. I had made an appointment with the vet that Godmother takes her rats to, however I moved back to Saint John before he was seen there. Since the move he has been breathing much more rapidly, the sort of stomach breaths, and he had sounded very congested and was making the noise much more. I called my old vet who treated my old girl, Zoey, and he's sending up some medication this afternoon for Rose. He said he didn't even have to see him, unless I wanted him to.

I'm so relieved that he's finally getting some medication, and I really hope this will be what he needs to get better, but I feel like an awful pet owner for having him go this long without treatment.

I'll be sure to update you to tell you how things go.

When you develop a good relationship with a vet and the vet sees just how knowledgeable you are with your pets, they start to trust you and know you will do right by your pet.
Hopefully it's not too late for Rose and the meds will help.

I just picked up the pills from the vet a few minutes ago. I'm to give 1/3 of a pill of Baytril, twice daily for 7 days to see if it helps. He also said that if he doesn't improve, he'll give me either doxy or zithro to try as well.

Riana said:
I just picked up the pills from the vet a few minutes ago. I'm to give 1/3 of a pill of Baytril, twice daily for 7 days to see if it helps. He also said that if he doesn't improve, he'll give me either doxy or zithro to try as well.

Your vet rocks!!!!

I'm very happy to have been able to get meds for Rose! I admit that he isn't the most knowledgeable, since he doesn't specialize in exotics, but I'm confident in his skills, and he's willing to take suggestions from his clients. (I told him what I thought was wrong with Zoey, and after doing reading on what I had described, he told me that was exactly it.)

Rose didn't like his baytril-laced babyfood. :(

Your vet sounds just great!

I'm not surprised that Rose didn't like Baytril; it's very bitter. We all have our tricks for getting it into them. Nesquick Strawberry is pretty good for diguising the taste, so is chicken broth & honey.

When I was using the individual pills, I first used a smidge of honey and butter mixed on a spoon with the meds. Jams, jellies, chicken and broccoli baby food, and mac n cheese baby food all went over really well with my crew.

Since then, I crush the pills and make my own liver flavored suspension. The pills my vet gives me are liver flavored for cats/dogs, so I just add water. My girls will eat it straight from the bottle most days.

Nice stuff! I had bought some baby food last night, and normally they would scarf that down, but he was too clever for that. I have some other little goodies to try with him though. I can remember trying to get the metacam into Zoey, good God was that hard. x_x

He seemed to be perky and lively this morning!

Back