RIP Poe

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poe died last night

Poe the Rat Vs. Pie Box - YouTube

This is Poe in a Pie box. The picture was a thumbnail for one of my YouTube videos: youtube.com/watch?v=NhgvPwxYDsU
🐀♥️Poe the Very Fat Rat Eating Timbits Cereal - YouTube

In this one, he eats cereal: youtube.com/watch?v=6qdrap8LQGk
Poe the Rat in Paradise. - YouTube
In this video, he snuggles in my lap: youtube.com/watch?v=dGZcsRsM8uU

I will be posting a tribute video soon. I'll post the link in the updates when it comes out on Saturday.

Poe's rescue story:
It all started when someone found a box on the side of a highway in rural Quebec. Inside, were 24 rats. Poe was one of them. Each rat suffered from mites and all the males (including Poe) were aggressive towards humans and other rats. Like all the males that were rescued, he was neutered. But when some of the males grew friendships with each other, and got adopted off in pairs, Poe remained aggressive towards other males and hard to introduce to females. When we adopted him, however, I knew I had chosen the right rat. Poe was adorable, cuddly, silly, and such a great companion. Even though he didn't get along with the females at the rescue, he was snuggling and playing and sleeping in the same cage as the girls in just two days! That's when I knew we were the right family for him.
After five months of owning Poe, he got sick. We took him to the vet and he was given antibiotics for an Upper Respiratory Infection. A day later, in the evening, he was happily taking his Doxy. But when it came to his Baytril, he started panicking. He wouldn't eat it. We put it in a bowl in the bottom of his hospital cage. He was still panicking. He still wouldn't take it. Then he rested on the brim of the bowl. That's when I realized something DREADFUL. He had a massive head tilt and was gasping for air through his wide-open mouth. We took him to the living room where I snuggled with him once more on the couch. Occasionally he would jolt forwards and bawl his eyes and gasp through his mouth. Then he curled up into a little ball in my lap...
Then he went still.
That's when I knew that he had gone.
Please check out my rat channel. You can subscribe if you want to. I will be posting a tribute video on Saturday. Please check it out and show your support. Times of loss ore very though.
Thanks for reading this.

Thank you, Coffe Babies! I really like this form so far because you get to connect with rat lovers from all over the place. I first became interested in rats when I was seven. It feels nice knowing there are so many people who care.

Back