Ringworm

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meleigh

Anyone gotten anything like this from their rats? I broke out in this horrible rash and my daughter got it soon after. My Dr is stumped and I told him about the rats. I have been using a topical antifungal for two weeks and we were just prescribed something stronger, but this just seems way too severe for ringworm. I wanted to get some opinions of people who have had it.

Attachments

• 20200326_230848.jpg
    20200326_230848.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 150
  • 20200325_170446.jpg
    20200325_170446.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 157
  • 20200323_121825.jpg
    20200323_121825.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 152
This doesn't look like Ring Worm to me... I had it for a while but I cleared it up. It could be a coincidence that this happened unless you are having an allergic reaction to something in the eat cage or the eats themselves. Some people react to the urine of the rats or the bedding you use- May I ask what bedding you use for them and how long you've had them.?

It does look a lot like ringworm - when I was a child we got it from our dog
Please wash your hands very well before and after handling the ratties or everything dealing with them so they do not catch it.

This thread might be helpful Ring worm

Last edited:
I would definitely get that checked by a doctor. I've never had anything like that from my rats. I did get hives from them as I'm allergic to them. But nothing looking like that.

"That's odd" doesn't help, I'm sorry. I haven't seen that before. Are these raised at all? Or itchy?.. How long have you had your rats?
I get hives too, but they start in contact areas, at contact time or soon after, gradually increase in swelling & itching (not number), then gradually decrease.. I don't know if everyone's experience is the same, but doesn't seem like hives as I've experienced them...
Have you started using a new laundry or shower soap? Have you been gardening or brought a new plant in? Odd that both you & your daughter would have it but maybe a genetic predisposion?

Last edited:
We've been to the Dr 2x and have been using Rx Clotrimazole with little effect. It's also extremely itchy. I have over 20 spots and my daughter has more than 30 so I did not think it was ringworm. The Dr said I may need a biopsy to find out what it is.

I got the rats as babies not quite 2 months ago and they show no signs of it. The cage is clean (I'm super anal retentive). Also they are her rats so she handle them more and I got it first. On my back. So strange.

Nothing new in the house or our general environment except the rats. I got my first spot 3 weeks ago and my daughter got hers 5 days later. Then they multiplied rapidly and grew in size. They began the size of a pencil eraser. I'll look into rat rash. Thank you.

Anyone gotten anything like this from their rats? I broke out in this horrible rash and my daughter got it soon after. My Dr is stumped and I told him about the rats. I have been using a topical antifungal for two weeks and we were just prescribed something stronger, but this just seems way too severe for ringworm. I wanted to get some opinions of people who have had it.
if it was a rash from them crawling on you then you would think it wld be more widespread. Ive been scratched and bit and never got anything looking like that. But i did use Gain one time and had an allergic reaction to the fragrance they put in it. I wld think along those lines maybe, just weird you all have it. If it is ringworm you cld have gotten it outside and you all have just caught it from each other I wldnt go to just blame the rats yet. I wld not be letting them crawl on those spots you dnt want them to get whatever that is.

I haven't been around here in a while but I still get email alerts about some popular threads.
I just wanted to make a post because I experienced an absolute nightmare with a fungus last year.

Let me just say, just because it doesn't look like the ringworm "we all know and love" doesn't mean that it isn't essentially ringworm. Must fungi that we pick up are a form of ringworm.

You are lucky your doctor pushed you towards an antifungal first, as mine treated me with steroids and made a bad situation worse.

Can you see if your doctor would prescribe oral antifungal medication, to go with the topical treatment?
I required 4 weeks of oral Terbinafine (250 MG) plus topical antifungal (2x a day) to clear the fungus on my face. And I still have damaged skin.

It is possible to do scrapings of the skin to see if it is a fungus, they look at the scraping under a microscope. Much less invasive than the biopsy. I had both done. I had been loaded up on so many drugs, especially steroids, that both tests were a failure. In the end, the only way they could finally determine that it was a fungus was an old swab they had taken. It had been taken over a month beforehand, but the swab finally grew a fungus in a lab (a culture).

Anyway, just wanted to throw my recommendation out there. It can take a while to clear this stuff and it can take very aggressive treatment.
I can share pictures of the various stages my fungus went through, won't bother posting them now. But again, these things don't always look like what we think.

I asked for the oral but the Dr said it was too much medicine for what it was. I started putting apple cider vinegar on it and it surprisingly is helping more than the creams. But I will have scars. The skin is red and shiny. I'll have to see a dermatologist anyway. It really doesn't seen to be from the rats. I hope it's not.

Have you tried taking wild oregano oil?? It has to be a good brand but ive heard of people taking it for fungal problems conventional meds dnt cure

Back