Ringworm?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kyn

Good thing my boys are cute because they have been so much trouble lol...

Okay, so I posted here over a month ago because I noticed scabbing on my rats. Most people thought it was rat mites so I ordered Kitten Revolution, but by the time it came in the scabs had all but disappeared.

However, about two weeks ago I noticed a circular scabby rash on my back. I've never had ringworm before but it sure seems like that is what it is. I've been treating myself with an antifungal, but it doesn't seems to be helping... (Been almost 2 weeks). I'm going to the doctor on Thurs.

My question is, can ringworm in rats just randomly clear up? I just took all three out of their cage and felt down their fur has best I could, but only felt a tiny scab on one which was probably from play-fighting. The scabs like they had before are gone (over a month ago.)

Is it possible these were just two separate issues? I just can't figure out where I would have gotten ringworm from. A bunch of other people have handled my rats and none of them have any issues.

I don't want to take my boys to the vet because they don't have any obvious clinical signs.

I'm kind of freaking out about getting an outbreak of ringworm haha...

Did you ever treat them with the revolution? If not, it certainly won't hurt to. I have had quite a few rats, and never had any get scabs from "play" fighting. Usually when they play, they aren't drawing blood or breaking the skin. If you haven't already treated them, I'd do so. Also, make sure you wash your hands very well before handling them. Don't let them come in contact with the suspicious scab on you, and make sure anyone else handling them washes hands first as well. It can sometimes take a while to get rid of ringworm in humans.... But is it a possibility it could be eczema (contact dermatitis) or psoriasis? Good luck at the Dr.

Did you ever treat them with the revolution? If not, it certainly won't hurt to. I have had quite a few rats, and never had any get scabs from "play" fighting. Usually when they play, they aren't drawing blood or breaking the skin. If you haven't already treated them, I'd do so. Also, make sure you wash your hands very well before handling them. Don't let them come in contact with the suspicious scab on you, and make sure anyone else handling them washes hands first as well. It can sometimes take a while to get rid of ringworm in humans.... But is it a possibility it could be eczema (contact dermatitis) or psoriasis? Good luck at the Dr.
Thank you! They are about 300g (they are still babies). One drop of Kitten Revolution between shoulder blades, do you think?
I'm pretty sure it's ringworm. It's the classic red ring with a pale center. Yay...
Thanks for you're response!! :)

Dr. confirmed that I have ringworm... Yay... Called my vet to get some opinions if I need to take my boys in.

Thoughts on oral vs. topical meds for rats? The topical would be what I'm using now for myself, essentially. I used to work at a pet store and when our animals would get ringworm, we just used human anti-fungal cream (vet directed).

Thank you SQ!! :)

Back