Ring worm

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspch911

So, it appears we have ringworm.... I got this rash on my hand in December which I thought was from a poinsettia plant I touched at work, and its spread to both my hands. I've been seeing a dermatologist for three freakin' months and it wasn't until today that I was properly diagnosed. I was only diagnosed because the hubby got a small circular rash on his hand last week and he was diagnosed as it being ringworm so I used his medication and it cleared up my hands - so today at the dermatologist I told him that and they did a hand scraping - sure enough fungus on my hands..... Boy were they apologetic for the past couple months!!! Anyway, now what??? I'm assuming we got it from the four legged kids, but I don't see any signs of anything unusual with them. Suppose it could of came from the cat too, but how would any of them got it in the first place and do I now have to bring everybody into the vet for testing????

Since ringworm is highly contagious and you have had it for awhile, it is likely that they have caught it.
If you think your rats have ringworm, you will need to get medicine from a good rat vet (who will also need to examine them)

I do not have any experience with ringworm in rats but here are some helpful links:

Ring worm and rats http://ratguide.com/health/integumentary_skin/dermatophytosis.php

And a case history with pictures: http://ratguide.com/health/figures/dermatophytosis_figure_1.php

Here is a thread by a forum member who had a rat with ringworm
http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31480&highlight=ringworm&page=2

Last edited:
I will read those links in minute. I called our vet today and the receptionist spoke with the new doctor I don't care much for who said we don't have to bring them in just watch for crusty lesions and bald spots. The receptionist seemed to think we would have to have them all seen under a black light. I will follow up with the vet we usually see.

I too thought it was very contagious, but not even the dermatologist seemed concerned about it. Everyone keeps touching me hands and the rashes without gloves.

EDIT: I actually saw all those last night and none of our rats look like that. However, I wonder if Wally's mysterious tail thing might be related.

Last edited:
Your rats may not show the visible signs of ringworm- the scabs etc but could still be carrying it. Animals can carry the dander with ringworm for some time. Best to check them under the ultra violet light, any signs of ringworm will show up as a bright greenish yellow. Best to treat everyone while your being treated then it stops it from being passed around.

although you will read that ringworm is very contagious, it actually is NOT- it must get past the top 4 layers of your skin to infect you, so in other words, you need to have a cut or deep scrape for the fungus to infect you. it will not survive on the top layers of your skin, they are not moist enough

ringworm spores are **everywhere**, you can't avoid them.but they die quickly if they are not on a moist surface.
if it was as contagious as you read on the internet, everyone would have ringworm all the time, or get it every time they showered etc.

I found this out when I had that horrible rash last fall. The dermatologist told me about the spores being everywhere and what it takes to get infected with the fungus. The derm also did a skin scraping on my rash, which two previous docs had insisted *was* ringworm. but it was not!

Vinegar will kill the spores so if you're worried, wash everything with a dilute solution of vinegar and water (I believe it only needs to be 10% vinegar)

What does the rash on your hands look like?

It started as a rash on the skin between my pointer finger and my thumb on my left hand and spread across the top of my hand. It then went to my right hand around my thumb and onto my wrists (both hands)

although you will read that ringworm is very contagious, it actually is NOT- it must get past the top 4 layers of your skin to infect you, so in other words, you need to have a cut or deep scrape for the fungus to infect you. it will not survive on the top layers of your skin, they are not moist enough

I kept trying to tell the physicians assistant and then the doctor (who is probably 90) that every time I get a rat scratch it swells up and gets slightly pussy and infected looking. Just to be ignored and given another Rx cream to try and told its eczema. I'm sure I got it through an open scratch. And I had two large spots that were circular which I tried to point out. I even took a series of pictures and showed them how it would bubble up, pop, get a bit better and then the process would repeat itself.. I will try to post the pictures I have from about 2-4 weeks ago.

This is from today:

Last edited:
That is the rat rash. I fought ut from january till just recently. Couldnt figure out who I got.it from but one of them had it.

It does spread and it is contagious I got it all over and my hubby got it from me. I think the 6 rat boys I got in january.

Yeah thats not ringworm, that is the "rat rash" Peggyentioned. Debbie D has an article about it under skin conditions for rats. I cured mine with weeks of grapefruit seed extract. Its miserable, travels over your hands, blisters up and hurts until they pop, you get some relief, but then it travels again...I am so sorry. The link is up in petunias thread somewhere closer to the end I think.

What the heck???? It seems to be clearing up with the anti-fungus cream. I cannot tell you how many times I've mentioned to them we have pet rats, but maybe they don't know what "rat rash" is - I've never heard or it... So, are there any symptoms on the ratties I should be looking for? Thankfully it hasn't spread yet from my hands....

Wow - those are some nastie pics there!
That is NOT the ringworm that I am familiar with. I agree / and I also do not think it is ringworm. A dermatoligist should know a presentation of ringworm. It's only been around for a million years!

Back