Reviving the ratshack member's donated CN

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
In early 2012, the members of this forum did an amazing thing - we worked together to purchase and set up a double CN cage for ratties at the Oromoncto SPCA!
The original story and thread can be seen here http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22466

Two of the boys from the original group that moved into this cage were never adopted ..... but at least they had a good home for the remainder of their lives, thanks to the generosity of the members of this forum.

Last edited:
The CN cage has helped many ratties and served as an example for new rat owners on how to set up a rat cage and what types of things their new ratties need.

But it has been over three and a half years and the cage is not as well equipped as it once was.

The CN cage placed at the Oromoncto SPCA for use by ratties, Nov 2015

The top section of the CN, Nov 2015

The bottom section of the CN, Nov 2015

The double CN is still in good shape but as you can see, items have worn out and the cage is pretty bare.
When I recently visited, the ratties seemed to feel very exposed in the open cages and seemed very afraid.

Last edited:
I am hoping that if we work together we can set up our ratshack double CN cage so that it can again provide ratties with a good home and also serve as an example to new rat owners.

I know we can do it! :grouphug2:

Items needed include:

a medium house for the bottom section - approx. $7 - donated

large hammocks as the remaining hammocks are quite small - donations anyone? - 2 donated ..... anyone else able to help?

1 or 2 large wheels (such as silent spinners) - approx. $33 each

two large snak shak activity logs - approx $17.79 each

two 3 inch diameter pvc (drainage tubes) tubes - 2 donated

two 3 inch diameter pvc elbows or T shapes for (drainage) tubes

two medium chewbular play tubes (the cardboard ones) - approx $3.60 each

two litter boxes for the balconies - approx $8 each

Last edited:
Items needed include:

a medium house for the bottom section - approx. $7 - donated

large hammocks as the remaining hammocks are quite small - donations anyone?
- 2 boats hammocks made and donated by Nickelrat
- some large hammocks in transit from Jorats
- a couple of hammocks donated by Godmother

1 or 2 large wheels (such as silent spinners) - approx. $33 each - 1 donated by temblabamomo

two large snak shak activity logs - approx $17.79 each - 2 donated by temblabamomo

two 3 inch diameter pvc (drainage tubes) tubes - 2 donated

two 3 inch diameter pvc elbows or T shapes for (drainage) tubes - 2 donated by Godmother

two medium chewbular play tubes (the cardboard ones) - approx $3.60 each

two litter boxes for the balconies - approx $8 each - 2 donated by Godmother

some chew toys - donated by temblabamomo

Last edited:
Thank you dspch911, Nickelrat , and Jorats. There are going to be some very happy little ratties :)
I'm alittle confused on why you think I bought those items. I haven't sent anything yet. I've looked at a few places, but shipping cost more than the products.

I got them litter pans and some other stuff, and I have some extra hammocks (now how dontoubsuppose I have some to spare??!). If they end up at Oromocto SPCA I will drop by regularly and make sure they have food.
If SQ reminds me, I will order them a wheel.

Thanks to Nickelrat for making and donating 2 boat hammocks for the Ratshack Oromoncto SPCA double CN cage
I know the ratties will love it.
I will post pictures once I am able to deliver the supplies and set up the cage

Thanks to temblabamomo for purchasing and sending the items seen below for the Ratshack SPCA double CN cage
I know the ratties will love these.

I will post pictures once I am able to deliver the supplies and set up the cage.

Back