Rest in peace Hawkins...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPGG

I got a call from my vet and unfortunately my baby Hawkins has passed away:(. Still can't believe it and I really want him to have a full length of his life. He's 1yr old and 7 months and I wish I could have given him more. He was the biggest eater and loves to play hand wrestling. He's one of my first rats, and never in my wildest dreams that i'll get attached to them so much.
A4CC0B92-5BC9-4BB6-8A16-3E9909BE60B6.JPGIMG_2382.PNGIMG_7530.jpgIMG_8115.jpgIMG_8518.jpg

I'm so so sorry...that's too young :( was he sick or didn't make it through a procedure?
He was fine one day and then suddenly I noticed that he wasn't grooming his porphyrin and he was sort of waddling when walking, so I took him to the vet right away. They took x-rays and there was nothing on his stomach, and was undergoing GI stasis. He was hospitalized for the day, and they put him in an oxygen box, gave him fluids, and some antibiotics and the vet said he was getting worse and unfortunately was not able to make it. I'm not exactly sure what caused his death, but i'll be coming to my vet tomorrow to sign some papers for my baby's cremation.

do you mind me asking a few questions or is it too early and you need to grieve first

There's a terrible contagious rat virus (not human although it is a coronavirus) and its spreading rapidly over the US right now. We are trying to track it but I am keeping my eye out for rats that might have the symptoms. I plan on doing a post today, showing locations its been reported, symptoms etc.

Back