Respiratory issues

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisandbambi

Hello. I adopted this baby two months ago. He's about 2 and when he came to me he was making really loud noises when breathing. Sounded like he was snoring. I tried a 5 week course of Baytril + Doxy twice a day. It seemed to have cleared out. The last few days he's feeling a little congested again. All my rats are rescues and some become wheezy/ congested easily but I can often keep them stable without antibiotics so I was keeping an eye on him but he seems to be getting a little more congested everyday. I can't get him to take medication on his own ( tried a lot of different stuff ) so I would force it gently and tried to make sure it wouldn't go to his lungs. He did a lot of times seem to spit out part of the medication. I'm wondering if this is why the infection came back. I'm starting him on antibiotics again to try and clear it out for good. I was wondering if I should try Baytril + Doxy again and make sure he takes it all somehow or should I try adding azithromycin to the Baytril and Doxy this time. Thank you :)

Back