Respiratory Issue NOT MYCO

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

witnessabbie

Hey everyone. I have a girl, Natasha, who's about a year old who's been going through some respiratory problems lately. The issue is that she has no signs of myco -- no sneezing, wheezing, no strange lung sounds, no signs of fluid in her x-ray. We think she might have electrocuted herself? There was a cord I didn't realize was still plugged in and the vet and I think she bit into it. They hospitalized her for a few days and put her on oxygen on and off, but the vet said she was doing better. In that time, I had to go out of town; my friend that picked her up is also familiar with rats and said she felt like Natasha was fine, was active and eating and had no problems.

I got all three of my girls this morning so they've been home for a few hours. Natasha has been on doxy, baytril, and a pain reliever for a week, just as a precaution. I just gave her what was supposed to be her final doses of all three. But, to me, she still seems symptomatic. Her breathing's a bit labored, her coat's a little puffed, and she's not as active as she was. I tried to let her out to play with her sisters and she just sat there on the floor, staring at me. I'm worried there's a problem my vet missed, one she was hiding until I was home. Could it be her heart? My sister said she might still be recovering so I should give her time. But we all know that, with rats, time is not on our side when they're sick. I'm not sure what to do or think, so any help is appreciated.

Heart issues are common in rats and there are meds that will help
When my rats have had heart issues the main symptom was breathing problems that were not cured by different combos of antibiotics. Your vet can test dose with Lasix or benazepril to see if they help.
Here is some info
http://ratguide.com/health/cardiovascular/congestive_heart_failure.php or http://ratguide.com/health/cardiovascular/cardiomyopathy.php

She could also now be having a myco flareup or have a new secondary infection

Back