The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get doxycycline in a paste, it's called vibravet, it's just a smidge on the rats nose twice a day, the rats just lick it off and tastes really yummy. I'm in Australia though so might be a little different.

Does the doxycycline and baytril combination not work as well as the azithromycin and baytril combination as I have heard that people end up switching to azithromycin and baytril because doxycycline and baytril doesn't end up working.

If get the medication, does it have to be given with the baytril (separately) for the remaining time of the 6 weeks or could I still give it to him once I run out of baytril? Also, how much time do I have to wait to give him each medication? Can I give them one after another or does it have to be given like 1 or 2 hours later? How many times a day would I need to give it to him? twice like usual?

I am just trying to learn as much as I can about the situation. I apoligize if I come off as being difficult becaue I know I am and I know that it can be annoying sometimes.

Thank you. All replies are appreciated.

Last edited:
they can be given together at the same time

baytril + zithro is more effective but you have already explained many times that you can not get it
so try to get doxy to give with the baytril, at least you have an article (re link I provided) that says to give baytril + doxy as a combo
Antibiotics are given twice a day

UPDATE:

This happened.

I noticed that his breathing has gotten worse even though he is on a longer dose of baytril (6 weeks) and so I took a video of it. He is also refusing to take his medication in the morning but it isn't such a big deal as I just take him out and he eventually does take his medication. The screen is black once again as he was not showing any signs of laboured breathing physically. He will still happily take food from my hand if I offer it to him and he is also going to his food bowl to get food on his own. As someone has said previously on this thread, he may be forming an immunity to the baytril and that is why it may not be working correctly. I was thinking of starting him on azithromycin and baytril or doxycycline and baytril as I have heard that it is more powerful if you use a combination.

I am going to try to switch to the Tide brand unscented laundry detergent that I mentioned in one of my other threads to see if that could help to reduce his symptoms and I am also hopefully going to purchase a space heater to rule out the cold as an option. I personally get really cold myself so a space heater would be beneficial to me also.

EDIT:
As of now (10:50 PM on Friday, February 22nd, 2019) he is not breathing roughly, I only noticed him doing it in the morning. A factor could be because it is starting to warm up from being colder at night or it could be some much bigger factor.

Sorry for such a late update, I fell asleep before I could finish editing and posting the video.

Ok let's double-check.your dose of baytril first. What mg/ml is it (should be on bottle), how much does your rat weigh, and how much are you being told to give?

I just want to make sure your rat is getting an effective dose as some vets underdose.

As for a secondary antibiotic, you can definitely ask for doxycycline instead of zithro. For now see if he gets better on just the baytril. It's not ideal but some rats will get better on just baytril.

As I have said before earlier in this thread, the bottle does not say the strength. It is a half and half mix of baytril and starwberry syrup. I think 9.0 mL baytril and 9.0 mL strawberry syrup. The last time he was weighed, he weighed one pound even. He was weighed in October 2018. I am told to give him 0.18 mL twice a day orally. When I got the new dose for the 6 weeks he did start getting better after the first few days and was good for some time after that but recently (a couple of days) I have noticed that his breathing has gotten worse again.

lilspaz68 answered your questions, as have I
and you have been repeatedly told what we believe he needs

It is impossible to check the baytril dose to see if it is correct, since we do not know the strength of the baytril (mg/ml)

I hope you are able to get him what he needs and that he is soon feeling much better

I am trying to get confirmation that it is a valid idea to purchase the new detergent and space heater and also trying to get feedback because lilspaz68 said "For now see if he gets better on just the baytril. It's not ideal but some rats will get better on just baytril." and I added that "he did start getting better after the first few days and was good for some time after that but recently (a couple of days) I have noticed that his breathing has gotten worse again."

Yes SQ, you did tell me what you believe he needs but 1. you are not considering what I do and do not have access to and 2. you are focusing on the wrong things as there are other things within my replies that I am seeking feedback for.

I would like to try to get the azithromycin as I am told that it is more effective and doxycycline has a reputation to not work and I hear about people who switch to azithromycin instead. Eventually, I may travel to a far vet clinic to see what they think. Do not hold this against me as it is not fully in my power to do so don't bother me about it.

My question still stands, "If get the medication, does it have to be given with the baytril (separately) for the remaining time of the 6 weeks or could I still give it to him once I run out of baytril? "

From what I understand azithro works best in combination, I would continue get more Baytril to go with it. You can give them right after the other.

I don’t think the brand of detergent matters much, it just needs to be unscented.

From what I understand azithro works best in combination, I would continue get more Baytril to go with it. You can give them right after the other.

I don’t think the brand of detergent matters much, it just needs to be unscented.

Thank you for your feedback. It is very much appreciated.

I want to get another other rat owner's opinion on this situation. I was wanting to purchase a space heater for the room that my rats are kept in so that they aren't getting extremely cold during the day and night and also since it is winter it is nice to have a little more warmth.

I got one, I will attach a photo that I took so you can see what it looks like. I apologize in advance for the poor photo. I was reading the instruction manual and there is a warning that states that "The health of some small pets including birds are extremely sensitive to the fumes produced during the first-time use of many appliances. These fumes are not harmful to humans but we recommend that you do not use your heater around birds and small pets during its initial use until the manufacturing corrosion coatings burn off."

I have had it on full blast for quite a while (in a separate room away from the rats of course) in hopes that the corrosion coatings would burn of so that I can use it in the rats room. I don't know how to tell if they have burnt off yet. If anyone else has had, has, or knows of space heaters, please reply with what I can/should do. I don't want to use it in their room if it is going to be harmful to them.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44.6 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
The coatings should be worn off by now. It's usually just the initial "burn in" that gives off fumes. I have a sensative sense of smell, so I usually can smell it. I'd assume you wouldn't want that around your rats either.

As far as how to use it, I'd put it in the farthest corner, not near or pointed at your rats. Don't let it get too hot. I'd say around 73-75 degrees Fahrenheit. Sorry, don't know what that translates to in Celsius. I'm in the states. But I'd turn it off during the warmer part of the day, since you don't want the ratties to get too warm. Also, you want to try to keep the room temp as constant as possible. You should be able to feel if it gets too warm, or too cool. Hope that helps a little bit.

Hope your little guy gets to feeling better soon!

The coatings should be worn off by now. It's usually just the initial "burn in" that gives off fumes. I have a sensative sense of smell, so I usually can smell it. I'd assume you wouldn't want that around your rats either.

As far as how to use it, I'd put it in the farthest corner, not near or pointed at your rats. Don't let it get too hot. I'd say around 73-75 degrees Fahrenheit. Sorry, don't know what that translates to in Celsius. I'm in the states. But I'd turn it off during the warmer part of the day, since you don't want the ratties to get too warm. Also, you want to try to keep the room temp as constant as possible. You should be able to feel if it gets too warm, or too cool. Hope that helps a little bit.

Hope your little guy gets to feeling better soon!

Thank you for your feedback.
I didn't want to use the heater in the room that they are kept in until I knew for sure that it wouldn't be harmful to them with the fumes and such.

As for where it is located. It will be around 7 feet from the cage roughly but directed in the opposite direction than the cage as to not overheat the rats and to not blow dry air directly at them. The room is usually around 60-70 degrees Fahrenheit, again roughly as I just have a cheapish thermometer from Walmart that tells me a rough estimate of the temperature of the room but it is quite convenient at times. The heater I have turns off once the room warms up to the temperature I set it to so that is nifty and also it turns itself off if it overheats or falls off a surface. I how's that it is safe to use in the room the rats are in now as I put the heater to full blast attempting to burn the corrosion coating off and it overheated and turned itself off twice. Of course I wouldn't put it that high when it is in the room with the rats.

Again, thank you for your feedback.

Oh, I'd say it's much too cold for your rats. I freak if our room gets below 70. Even if they can pile up, or curl up in bedding. Think how you would keep the room for an infant. You don't want it too warm or stuffy, but too cool isn't good either. ;)

Oh, I'd say it's much too cold for your rats. I freak if our room gets below 70. Even if they can pile up, or curl up in bedding. Think how you would keep the room for an infant. You don't want it too warm or stuffy, but too cool isn't good either. ;)

Yes, I figured that it was too cold as I was getting cold as well and that is why I was insisting on purchasing a space heater, but now that I have one I am afraid that the fumes will be harmful to my rats and I do not want that.

So you ran it yesterday, and today, and had it on full blast? I'd say it is safe if you have. It should be good and burned in. Usually on takes a couple of uses, or one good use. But that's totally up to you. I just know bird lungs are super sensative. You can't cook on Teflon pots and pans with them in the house. Even being in a different room. That may be more of why the warning is on the heater. It could be some of the same kinds of chemicals used to make Teflon.

At this point, if the heater has been running, I'd be more worried about the room temp for the ratties. It should be good and burned in, and I'm sure there is SOME ventilation in your room. But you can't be worried about residual chemicals too long. Honestly, that burn in applies to anything metal. Hair dryers, pots and pans, grills, ovens, I think you get my point. ;)

At this point, if the heater has been running, I'd be more worried about the room temp for the ratties. It should be good and burned in, and I'm sure there is SOME ventilation in your room. But you can't be worried about residual chemicals too long. Honestly, that burn in applies to anything metal. Hair dryers, pots and pans, grills, ovens, I think you get my point. ;)

I have heard before that you can not cook with non-stick pans if you own birds, that is one of the many reasons why I don´t own any.
I did have the heater turned on to the low setting (there is low, high, off, and fan settings) while I was getting ready this morning. I faced it the opposite way of the cage and turned on an osculating stand fan on low to cross draft the heater and create airflow in the room just in case. I did smell a scent that came from the heater but it is similar to the smell that a television stand faux fireplace emits. I also had the room door open for more air flow.

I need a little help here I took my 2 rats to the vet last Tuesday to check if everything’s fine cause I’ve noticed when they’re breathing they make a whistle noise, the vet checked there breathing and said everything sounded fine. But I’m still noticing it and there sneezing a little more but still eating and drinking and haven't noticed a lot of porphyren just a tiny bit around there nose. Also the vet is my friends mom so should I let them know or just keep an eye on my rats? Because she said as long as they’re still eating and drinking just to keep an eye on them for labourer breathing but I’m a new rat owner and am not really sure what that’s supposed to look like.

Back