Discussion in 'Health & General Care' started by _ratowner, Jan 22, 2019.
I agree. I believe that the vet herself also has much to learn about rat health.
He was 1.2 pounds last time I weighed him.
The vet seems either aloof on the matter, or just plain doesn't give a rat's patooty about it. That's why I said that's dumb. To say one time that she's giving meds for 6 weeks, then to write zero on the refills, and say to give for 2 weeks and see.....
I agree. The situation is quite confusing.
I haven’t been on here for a while, I apologize.
I am slowly learning how smart rats actually are wow. My one boy doesn’t like this new medication he is on and as rats can’t spit stuff back up, he rubs whatever he can onto my pants so he doesn’t have to take as much. Man, I love my boys so much.
He is doing good though or what I can tell. We have done 11 full days (given twice a day) of medication. Although he doesn’t like it he still deals with it. He is currently in my shirt begging to be picked up so he is higher up/closer to my face.
Thank you everyone for all you help
That's really good news. And you're so right about ratties' talents for avoiding medication. My rats past and present have deployed many creative avoidance methods, including vigorous head-shaking, drooling, and delayed expulsion - i.e. holding meds in the mouth for long periods (5 minutes or more!) while being held and monitored, only to spit up meds on the floor at the first opportunity. I try to insert the meds deep enough to ensure meds are swallowed, but this doesn't always work.
Hello, just popping in. Today was his 18th full day of treatment. I was told by the desk lady and it also says on the packaging that I should give it to him for 14 full days then discontinue use unless the symptoms resurface then to continue treatment as I have said before but that idea for critizized and shot down when I brought it to the forum but I have been told by a reputable member that this is a good method to use. They have also brought it to my attention that the vet may have a method behind all this none sense and making everyone following this thread aggravated with her. I was told that the vet probably gave me a weaker medication (baytril) because if she were to give me the strongest medication first and it not work then there is not way to go up from there. Although I would love to give him the best I can get and just magically “cure” him, I don’t want to hit a dead end and have no where to go from there. Thank you to the member that pointed this out to me.
Anyway, I don’t know where to go from there. Do I just continue giving him doxycycline for the rest of his life? He absolutely hates it and dreads coming out of the cage because he knows that he has to take his medication which results in me getting all scratched up. I also don’t want to just stop the medication all together because it would be a wage of money having to throw it out after the 30 days is up. Please insight me. Thank you.
If anyone is able to help that would be appreciated. I guess I will just keep giving him the medication.
I haven’t stopped treating him because no one has answered, don’t worry.
If he were my boy I'd keep treating him.
He has been given doxycycline for 27 full days (twice a day) and today will be 28. There are only 2 more days after today until the medication expires (30 days). What should I do?
Can you still detect any respiratory symptoms?
It all depends if they still sound sick. When mine had a persistent respiratory infections, I'd have them on baytril for months.
I was told by members previously that he should be given doxycycline continuously and I assume they meant for the rest of his life which can really drive up the vet bills. Is it okay to keep him off of treatment? I have been told so many different conflicting views on the situation and I don’t know what to do at this point.
If he sounds good, lungs clear, you can definitely stop the meds.
And just continue medication if the symptoms come back? Okay.
If his lungs aren't clear, continue the antibiotics. Are they clear?
Guess who has raspy breathing again.
It was clear for a few days but I woke up this morning and heard him breathing. I will need to get some more. Hopefully the vet won’t take a week to do it this time.
What should I do?
It’s around $60 for medication doesn’t last very long until the symptoms are back and it will really drive up the vet bill if he has to take that for the rest of his life. I can’t order anything online as it will take way to long and for other reasons. What should I do?
Separate names with a comma.