Respiratory distress

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisandbambi

One of my rats has been on Baytril and Doxy for a while now. I rescued her from a lady who had her live in a tank. She is over 2 and was neglected most of her life. When I first got her we put her on antibiotics and it helped but after a while it just seems to be getting worse. I also found a little lump neat her lungs and took her to the vet to have it removed. The vet preformed an X-ray and told me it would be too risky to remove it since it might be very near or even attached to her diaphragma. Im thinking this is one of the reasons she has been getting worse. Today she woke up in a panick cuz she couldn't breath. I gave her a bit of dark chocolate and she seems to be okayish. What else can I do to make her more comfortable until I can take her to the vet? Since it's closed tomorrow. Also, if I need to request new medication, what would you suggest? Perferably something that can be administered only once a day like I can the Baytril and Doxy. Thank you in advanced!

I don't know of anything that can be given once a day
Lilspaz68 may have some suggestions

There are also meds that may slow down the growth of tumours, depending in the type of tumour

also dex might help or some other meds - ask Lilspaz68

I don't know of anything that can be given once a day
Lilspaz68 may have some suggestions

There are also meds that may slow down the growth of tumours, depending in the type of tumour

also dex might help or some other meds - ask Lilspaz68
Thank you! It doesn't seem to be growing fast but I'll be taking her to the vet soon and ask for this too.
@lilspaz68

The lump is under her diaphragm? Blech. Yeah this will likely grow and press on her lungs and other organs eventually.
As for antibiotics that can be given once a day...baytril, doxycycline, azithromycin. You could try baytril or doxy paired with zithro, as it is a good one for persistent resp. Infections. Steroids may help with reducing inflammation in the lungs or the tumour pressing on them..at least temporarily.

The lump is under her diaphragm? Blech. Yeah this will likely grow and press on her lungs and other organs eventually.
As for antibiotics that can be given once a day...baytril, doxycycline, azithromycin. You could try baytril or doxy paired with zithro, as it is a good one for persistent resp. Infections. Steroids may help with reducing inflammation in the lungs or the tumour pressing on them..at least temporarily.
Thank you! I'll probably try Baytril+ Zithro or maybe the three together if it doesn't work. If this doesn't work, is there any medication that needs to be administered twice a day that will help more? It doesn't go with my schedule but I'll find a way if it helps her.

Not really. Since this is more than just a regular respiratory infection you probably won't get a cure if the zithro/baytril doesn't work but you might be making her more comfortable and keeping her symptoms to a minimum.

Back