Rescued Rat Tonight

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evantide

I work at a local family-owned pet supply store (supplies only, we support animal rescues), and today a woman came into the store with a male fancy rat. She said she had found him a week ago abandoned in a Lowe's parking lot with another rat. According to the woman, they were each in their own little clear-plastic critter carriers (like these). She said she had called a vet and taken them home. She said the white rat died, and she thinks it was due to wet tail. I didn't even think rats could get wet tail (I've only heard of this in hamsters and I've had hamsters all my life and never had a wet tail problem). I don't think the rat died of wet tail, but then again, I never saw the white one. Anyway, the black one she brought into the store, she was trying to "find a home for." He's sneezing so I don't think he's well. Whatever the white rat might have had, he could have as well. I am going to schedule a vet appointment in the morning to have him looked at. I told her I would take the rat. She gave him to me and said she just wanted him to go to a loving home and not become snake food. I am going to have him looked at on Tuesday or Thursday and hopefully find out that's it's nothing too serious. For all I know, it could be pneumonia or just a respiratory infection. I will know in a few days!

Ironically enough I have a single-level Critter Nation on order at my work. It's for a hedgehog that I have been planning to adopt (I am on the waiting list of a breeder about four hours from where I live for a hedgie). The CN will need modifications to make it safe for a hedgehog, but if this rat is able to survive, he might be living in it instead and I'll just have to wait on the hedgehog. Right now I have the rat in a rabbit/guinea pig cage. He has all new bedding, new food (I have Oxbow Regal Rat being shipped, but right now he has been eating a Kaytee diet which I don't even feed to my hamsters).

The rat is very friendly, alert, and curious. He's black with a white patch on his tummy, and a little white front paw. He seems to have a nice temperament, but if he's not feeling well, that could also be why... He definitely had to have been someone's pet. I can't understand how people just throw their pets out in a parking lot like that... I have found all kinds of animals, from hamsters, gerbils, and mice, to healthy bearded dragons with fully equipped setup and all (which isn't cheap). It's just a shame... I can't believe I took this little rat home, though! But I wanted to make sure he gets the help he needs and from the sound of it, the woman who had brought him to my store didn't want to be burdened with vet expenses (she might not have been able to afford it). I think he might be a young adult, but I'm not an expert with rats and I can't tell. I'm sure the vet will have some kind of idea.

Anyway I came here to the Rat Shack because a couple of years ago I had been researching rats and wanted to get a few males as pets. Due to unfortunate circumstances, I was not able to have rats. I'm able to keep this male if things look up for him, and if I choose to keep him (as opposed to adopt him out to an experienced/loving family), I would consider getting him a new companion. However, this won't be until he is in good health and my CN arrives... I will keep you guys posted as to what happens to this sweet guy! Any words of advice are much appreciated.

A Little About Myself
My name is Samantha. You're welcome to call me Sam or Evan for short. I am twenty-one years old. I live in Hampton Roads, Virginia. I have owned dwarf Russian hamsters, Syrian hamsters, Mongolian gerbils... I have fostered ferrets, guinea pigs, rabbits, and bearded dragons short-term. At this moment, I currently have a nearly two-year old female Australian Cattle Dog, a male fancy Russian dwarf hamster, and now this fancy rat. All are rescues. I am a full-time college student, and currently part-time employee at a family-owned pet supply store. I am a photographer, and aim to have my own portrait studio someday, as well as provide wedding photography, pet photography, and other photography services. I am engaged to my first crush. He is ADDA certified in Drafting and Design and works for a company whose main expertise is in fuel injection system integrations for recreational vehicles and non-automotive applications. I love animals and wish to learn everything about them so that I can educate the public and help to increase the quality of life of pets - this is why I chose to work at a pet supply store. Many people come into my store and ask, "Do you sell animals?" I have the opportunity to explain why we do not sell animals, and why it is important to rescue or find a reputable breeder.

Good luck! It sounds like he's had a rough life, and I'm glad you took him in.
Getting him a buddy would be a great idea, and there is probably a rescue near you with rats.. check petfinder! :) I'd wait until he's better too.
Good luck, I hope he is ok.
Scratch his head for me

Poor kiddo, loosing his buddy after being left in a parking lot...so glad you could take him, I hope he can get well and live a happy life with you (and maybe a buddy?)

Oh, and PS - bumping into someone else from the Hampton Roads area is mad cool exciting for me :joy:

Hi, Evan! Poor little feller. I hope he isn't too sick and can recover quickly. Sounds like he'll be quite happy with you. Especially since a CN is conveniently already on the way. :wink2:

I have the opportunity to explain why we do not sell animals, and why it is important to rescue or find a reputable breeder.

Awesome opportunity. I know when I was younger, I had no idea that pet stores were bad. I would have loved to know that info right up front! I bet they appreciate it.

Yes, neither did I. It gives me a significant amount of self satisfaction to know I have helped someone understand how to better the quality of life for their pets. It may be just a temporary part-time job, but it feels so very rewarding at times!

I definitely would like to find him a friend once I know he is healthy and not a potential threat to another rat. I checked Petfinder, but right now I could only see females nearby for adoption. I'll keep my eyes out. Right now it's one step at a time. I have to make sure he's going to be alright!

And I agree about the CN. How ironic, right? What good timing. This guy is lucky! LOL!

Welcome to the forum! Do keep us updated as to how he is doing. Chances of it being a respiratory infection is very high since it's so common in rats, but a good course of antibiotics should set him right.

Hello, good job rescuing the poor fella. I have an ACD as well. Jack, almost 3, is a red speckle and my best bud! Would love to see some pics!

Aww, one of my rats was also a rescue who was found abandoned. I can't believe someone could have just abandoned him. I often get angry at that mystery person, when I look into his sweet little eyes.

evantide said:
I work at a local family-owned pet supply store (supplies only, we support animal rescues), and today a woman came into the store with a male fancy rat. She said she had found him a week ago abandoned in a Lowe's parking lot with another rat. According to the woman, they were each in their own little clear-plastic critter carriers (like these). She said she had called a vet and taken them home. She said the white rat died, and she thinks it was due to wet tail. I didn't even think rats could get wet tail (I've only heard of this in hamsters and I've had hamsters all my life and never had a wet tail problem). I don't think the rat died of wet tail, but then again, I never saw the white one. Anyway, the black one she brought into the store, she was trying to "find a home for." He's sneezing so I don't think he's well. Whatever the white rat might have had, he could have as well. I am going to schedule a vet appointment in the morning to have him looked at. I told her I would take the rat. She gave him to me and said she just wanted him to go to a loving home and not become snake food. I am going to have him looked at on Tuesday or Thursday and hopefully find out that's it's nothing too serious. For all I know, it could be pneumonia or just a respiratory infection. I will know in a few days!

Ironically enough I have a single-level Critter Nation on order at my work. It's for a hedgehog that I have been planning to adopt (I am on the waiting list of a breeder about four hours from where I live for a hedgie). The CN will need modifications to make it safe for a hedgehog, but if this rat is able to survive, he might be living in it instead and I'll just have to wait on the hedgehog. Right now I have the rat in a rabbit/guinea pig cage. He has all new bedding, new food (I have Oxbow Regal Rat being shipped, but right now he has been eating a Kaytee diet which I don't even feed to my hamsters).

The rat is very friendly, alert, and curious. He's black with a white patch on his tummy, and a little white front paw. He seems to have a nice temperament, but if he's not feeling well, that could also be why... He definitely had to have been someone's pet. I can't understand how people just throw their pets out in a parking lot like that... I have found all kinds of animals, from hamsters, gerbils, and mice, to healthy bearded dragons with fully equipped setup and all (which isn't cheap). It's just a shame... I can't believe I took this little rat home, though! But I wanted to make sure he gets the help he needs and from the sound of it, the woman who had brought him to my store didn't want to be burdened with vet expenses (she might not have been able to afford it). I think he might be a young adult, but I'm not an expert with rats and I can't tell. I'm sure the vet will have some kind of idea.

Anyway I came here to the Rat Shack because a couple of years ago I had been researching rats and wanted to get a few males as pets. Due to unfortunate circumstances, I was not able to have rats. I'm able to keep this male if things look up for him, and if I choose to keep him (as opposed to adopt him out to an experienced/loving family), I would consider getting him a new companion. However, this won't be until he is in good health and my CN arrives... I will keep you guys posted as to what happens to this sweet guy! Any words of advice are much appreciated.

A Little About Myself
My name is Samantha. You're welcome to call me Sam or Evan for short. I am twenty-one years old. I live in Hampton Roads, Virginia. I have owned dwarf Russian hamsters, Syrian hamsters, Mongolian gerbils... I have fostered ferrets, guinea pigs, rabbits, and bearded dragons short-term. At this moment, I currently have a nearly two-year old female Australian Cattle Dog, a male fancy Russian dwarf hamster, and now this fancy rat. All are rescues. I am a full-time college student, and currently part-time employee at a family-owned pet supply store. I am a photographer, and aim to have my own portrait studio someday, as well as provide wedding photography, pet photography, and other photography services. I am engaged to my first crush. He is ADDA certified in Drafting and Design and works for a company whose main expertise is in fuel injection system integrations for recreational vehicles and non-automotive applications. I love animals and wish to learn everything about them so that I can educate the public and help to increase the quality of life of pets - this is why I chose to work at a pet supply store. Many people come into my store and ask, "Do you sell animals?" I have the opportunity to explain why we do not sell animals, and why it is important to rescue or find a reputable breeder.

Hi Sam!!! You are right up the road from me! I live in Manassas!!!

I really hope you are able to help this little guy get well. The poor little dude. It bugs the h3!! out of me that people desert animals that way! :redhot:

Are you taking him to an exotic animal vet? I used to take my rats to Eastern Exotic Veterinary Center in Fair Oaks. Another good one, from what I understand, is SEAVS in Fairfax. The vet who started SEAVS was a co-founder of Eastern Exotics and they all know a TON about rats!!!!

Great to have you here! Holler if you need anything and cuddles and smooches to your little fellow. :love6:

HI!!

Rats don't get wet tail...
Good that you are taking him to a vet right away as it sounds like he has a respir, infection and needs antibiotics.
Sounds like the little guy is in good hands now

He is such a sweet rat. It makes me so mad... I've been talking about him all day at work! LOL And there is a woman who I had talked to about rats just a few days ago, and I saw her again tonight. I told her the story. She's glad that I took him, and said she had a companion she could spare for him. She also has a lot of supplies and said she wouldn't mind giving me anything. I don't really need anything, though. I can get it myself, that's not a problem, but I thought it was a nice gesture. I am still thinking of a name for this little guy. I was recommended to see Dr. Brinker at a nearby animal hospital who sees rats. I will find out if he really knows rats, and have him make more recommendations for real rat-experienced vets nearby. I don't think I've ever been to Fairfax, but I know it isn't too far from here!

I'm sitting in the spare room (aka computer/critter room now haha) next to the rat's cage. He's standing on the edge of his new bowl, eating. Once in awhile he lifts his little head towards me and then goes back to munching. It makes me sad to watch him now and picture what he might have looked like when he was abandoned. I'm sad that he lost his friend, too :(

arresai said:
Hello, good job rescuing the poor fella. I have an ACD as well. Jack, almost 3, is a red speckle and my best bud! Would love to see some pics!

Here is my Youtube Channel: Adventures of a Cattle Dog
She is a tri-color Australian Stumpy Tail Cattle Dog, the one with the lime green collar ;D We have so much fun at the dog park!

The videos from when it snowed after Christmas are great =) she loved it

Hi! Welcome to the Shack! I'm so glad you decided to go ahead and help this little fellow. You'll have to put him on your shoulder so he can whisper his name in your ear. LOL
Where are the pictures? We LOVE pictures!

Joanne said:
Hi! Welcome to the Shack! I'm so glad you decided to go ahead and help this little fellow. You'll have to put him on your shoulder so he can whisper his name in your ear. LOL
Where are the pictures? We LOVE pictures!

Pictures are coming, after all I am into photography! I just haven't had a chance to snap any yet! :D I have been looking for my video camera so I can introduce him to my YouTube channel :O I will probably get some pictures on Tuesday.

arresai said:
She is absolutely adorable! Jack loves the snow as well but hates the rain....go figure :wink2:

Awwwww he's so handsome!!! I looooove red heelers :) I was hoping to find a little girl red heeler, but you don't see many ACD's around here. When I found Sammy, it was out of sheer luck! Her owners were a Navy couple who had gotten her in San Diego, CA. They were moved over here, just outside of Gloucester and were getting ready to have a baby. They were worried about Sammy's nipping around the baby so they wanted to find her a good home. The woman was really attached to Sammy. They had originally said they were moving to her dad's house while they went to college full-time and took care of the baby and wouldn't have any time for Sammy. This may be true, but they haven't moved yet (we keep in touch), and when I learned that Sammy is weirded out around children, I knew that had to be the reason... Then one day I mentioned that I had discovered this nipping problem, and she said, "Yeah, we were worried about that with the baby coming." It would have been nice to know beforehand. There aren't many children in my life, and she tried to nip at one at my store! It took me a second to realize what she had tried to do! Anyway it's their instinct and if you don't want nipping, you've got to nip it in the butt asap. We are slowly working on it with Sammy. But like I said, no children in my life to work with!

Pictures of the rattie coming tomorrow! C: Last night I fed him carrots and broccoli. Just a little bit, though, so it doesn't upset his stomach with the new diet. I also bought a better block diet for him. Mazuri is the only decent thing I could find, and my store doesn't even carry it! It's better than what he WAS eating, though. In the meantime, I am waiting for my order of Oxbow Regal Rat to arrive. Between Harlan Teklad and Regal Rat, I decided to try Regal Rat. I remember a couple of years ago when I was interested in getting rats, I was going to order the Harlan Teklad lab blocks. I think the Oxbow diet was another good diet on the list I found here, though, so I'm giving it a try (I liked the idea of wild brown rice in place of ground corn, and it's low fat so I don't have to worry that he's going to become overweight from the other half of his diet (fruits and veggies)). The suggest intake for the Mazuri is 4 to 7 pellets a day. Overnight it appears that he ate 2. I am trying to monitor his eating habits to make sure he IS eating. He ate all the carrots and broccoli, and the few seeds I had left in his bowl since he was eating primarily a seed diet in his previous house. He also goes nuts for these croissant-looking treats that she had given me. There were just a few left in the bag she gave me, so I picked up more. They are the Ratatouille theme ones. I'm not sure how healthy they are for him but I have been giving him one a day since he really likes them. I will be doing more diet research tonight after work.

Oxbow is a great diet but some rats don't take to it and most take to it quickly at first and get sick of it, LOL. If, when you get it, you think this is happening you can try giving it to him frozen, some people have had luck feeding it that way.

Don't worry too much if he's not eating the "recommended intake"... if he's an older rat he may not need as much, and treats and whatnot can certainly fill them up too.

Back