Rescued Baby - Worried About Clicking Sound

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

caitlinshk

Hello all,

A baby rat I've been feeding is now making clicking sounds. He aspirated a bit of the goat milk during our first feeding (yesterday) and today I am hearing clicking sounds. I had read prior about that indicating pneumonia and so I was/am immediately worried! I also read amoxicillin will help? I can get it easily and today. Is that what I should do? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I've helped raise two squirrels from closed eyes babies to healthy adutls, but this my first rat.

Attachments

• 20200329_120134.jpg
    20200329_120134.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 296
  • 20200329_132236.jpg
    20200329_132236.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 279
  • 20200329_132242.jpg
    20200329_132242.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 260
The formula we have for orphaned rats is not good enough …. the best chance the baby has is if you find a nursing mama, remove her, make the baby smell like her babies, add the baby to te liter and put mama back. Babies that young have almost no chance without a foster mama.

Please see the info on raising orphans in our Reference Thread REFERENCE Thread - Read Only

Clicking is not good at all re pneumonia here is a thread by someone who managed to save a baby who got formula in their lungs and was making clicking noises Infant rat, URI? Clicking She gave amoxicillin too and also did several other things. Please read the link

amoxicillin, clavamox, and azithromycin are all pediatric friendly antibiotics
here is info re pneumonia in older rats Health Guide: Pneumonia

I do not know what you are using to feed the baby but a tiny, new, clean paint brush is recommended. The woman who manage to save the baby (link above) describes the method she use to feed so the formula did not go into the lungs.
Do not use a syringe as fluid will go into the lungs (as has already happened) and babies usually do not survive

Thank you for helping this baby. I hope it survives

Last edited:
Back