Rescue trip and logistics

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
I picked the 3 teen boys and 4 mamas with litters (40 tiny babies) up Monday afternoon (March 9) from a Fern's country shelter in the small village of Tracy.

(Please note that this rural "shelter" is actually an abusive environment where the woman is breeding rats, not providing proper care to any animals and has been repeatedly investigated by the NB SPCA. I get the rats I had to follow the woman down into a damp dark basement and then head deep under ground to a sub basement dug out under the basement :( )

Then the ratties and I drove to the Saint Stephen/Calais border so that they could be transported to Mainely Rat Rescue. (I was told that two of the rats have names, Sammie and Silver.)

April09boxesofratties.jpg

Fern provided boxes (as carriers) and bedding for the trip.
I added lab blocks and lab block mush for hydration.
This is the backseat of my car.

April09Sammiepeekingout.jpg

One of the teen boys checking things out

I met up with NinjaRatMama and her friend at the border.
The ratties were transferred to her friends car for short drive (across the street) to cross the border.

April09loadingthecar.jpg

Unfortunately, US customs decided to require additional paperwork which was to late in the day to obtain.
After being detailed for about 2.5 hours, and threatened by USA customs agents, we were allowed to return to Canada.

It was a great relief to be back on Canadian soil with all the ratties ……. one of the USA custom agents who seemed to take great pleasure in threatening me, identified himself as a snake owner and threatened to take all of the rescue ratties for snake food.

Here are a few pictures of the ratties in their traveling boxes

April093boysinbox.jpg

the three teen boys in their box

April093boys.jpg

Sammie has the white wedge on his face.

A tiny little mama. Her 10 babies, born March 20, are in the hamster attachment

April09sweeeymamababiesMarch14.jpg

The tiny siamese mama and her 9 babies born March 20

April09sweetmama.jpg

April09sweetlittlemamaandbabies.jpg

Silver, the mama that took the side trip to Saint John, with her 10 babies, born March 21
Babies are in a nest box, inside a larger box.

April09Silverandbabies.jpg

April09mamaSilverand11babies.jpg

April09mamaand11babies.jpg

The fourth young mama and her 11 babies, born March 14.

April09mamaandbabiesbMarch10.jpg

April09mamababiesbornMarch20.jpg

Last edited:
This little mama was very curious and friendly ...

April09littleescapeartist.jpg

After esxaping from her carrier, she cuddled on my lap

April09littlemama.jpg

April09DrivingishardworkTimeforamuffinbreak.jpg

Snack break for a piece of blueberry muffin ... driving is hard work

April09friendlynewfriend.jpg

and here she is back with her 11 babies:
April09friendlylittlemama.jpg

April09friendlymamaandbabies.jpg

April09friendlymamaandherbabies.jpg

==============================================

Unfortunately, unknown to us, one of the mamas had gotten out the box during the stop at customs.
Instead of returning with her babies to Fredericton, she went to Saint John.
Her babies were nursed by two other mamas and hand fed by me. (Went out and bought a can of soy infant formula etc)
I drove to Saint John on Tuesday and picked up the mama "Silver" who was happily reunited with her 10 babies.

The four mamas and 40 babies are presently in small carriers in my mothers kitchen/living room.
The 3 teen boys are in my larger bin cage in the livingroom.

April11rescuesincarriers.jpg

Not the best I know, but it is only for a few days ...

Ratties were being fed a hamster seed mix when I picked them up.
They are now getting lab blocks and daily vegs.
The very young mamas and babies are very tiny, and skinny.
Mamas are enjoying soy infant formula thickened with baby cereal.
Some of the babies have started to try the formula as well. :joy:
The 7 young ratties love the vegs and other healthy treats.

These ratties are very closely related to the rats walkingirl has.
Like one of her babies, at least 3 of these babies have neurological/walking issues.
I am hoping none develop MC but all are dumbo eared high whites so given that two of walkingirl's babies have died so far, one from MC, the other unknown cause, MC is a very real concern.
High whites are fairly recent in NB (only a few years) and MC has always been theoretical before ...

Hopefully the mamas are not pregnant.

April11mamaSilverincarrier.jpg

mama Silver on top of a nest box (very large shoe box)

The ratties are scheduled for a vet visit on Friday and then they will hopefully be traveling back to Saint Stephen and to MRR.

Thanks to Godmother for donating some money toward the cost of gas for the original trip to Saint Stephen, as well as the donation of some lab blocks & small cardboard boxes (for nest boxes), and the loan of two bin carriers, some fleece and a couple of food dishes.

If anyone is able and willing to help with costs associated with the gas for the 3 round trips (two to the border, 1 to Saint John), the vet health check and letter as required by US customs, or costs associated with caring for an extra 47 ratties, it would be appreciated.

Edit ... in response to questions below:
Any donations made directly would not be covered by MRR so no tax reciepts.
You can check if MRR will take donations to be directed toward the costs incurred re transport, care & vet on the Canadian side of the border.
I filled up the gas tank soon after starting to drive to the border and $40 came close to refilling the tank when I returned.
I have no idea what a vet health check of 7 young adults and 40 baby rats will cost.
Likely $45 or $60 at least. Any donations could be made directly to my vet. (Islandview Vet Hospital, Islandview NB)
You would want to earmark it for the health check of the Tracy rats going to the US.

SQ said:
The ratties are scheduled for a vet visit on Friday and then they will hopefully be traveling back to Saint Stephen and to MRR.

Thanks to Godmother for donating some money toward the cost of gas for the original trip to Saint Stephen, as well as the donation of some lab blocks & small cardboard boxes (for nest boxes), and the loan of two bin carriers, some fleece and a couple of food dishes.

If anyone is able and willing to help with costs associated with the gas for the 3 round trips, the vet health check and letter as required by US customs, or costs associated with caring for an extra 47 ratties, it would be appreciated.

Are these counted as MRR rats and donations would go to them so tax deductible or are these just donations you you individually? Can donations be sent directly to the vet? Do you know the total amount that is needed?

Rosa Heartt said:
I hope I can adopt 2 :( Are any of them coming to N.Y.C?

These rats are all at high risk of early or late onset of mega colon.
The rats are going to Mainely Rat Rescue so anyone wanting to adopt will need to apply to MRR.

Ooops .. have to go check the stove.
Presently boiling eggs for the young mamas.

btw, they like steamed carrots, but they loooove field greens!
Edit: and a piece of boiled egg as a treat is a big hit too LOL

Edit: Pictures of mamas and babies tonight ....

April11siamesemama.jpg

The siamese mama and her babies ... one of her babies has neuro/mobility issues

April11siamesemamapeekintonestbox.jpg

another sweet little mama and her babies

April11mama3.jpg

April11mama3wantsout.jpg

April11mama3babyis3wksold.jpg

baby wants out too ...

April11mama3andbabies.jpg

mama Silver and her babies. Two of her babies have neuro/mobility issues

April11mamaSilver.jpg

April11mamaSilverbabiestryingsoyformula.jpg

the fourth mama, the friendly girl who helped me drive the car and her babies

April11mama2wantsout.jpg

April11mama2andbabies.jpg

Oh :( Just like the rats I had. I surrendered quite a few before. The Biblical litter, Eighties music litter,etc were the babies my rats had that gave birth. Most of the pinkies died of Mega Colon at MRR. I got 4 of my girls back though. There's Nina,Maya,Gaia,and Lani :') It's so wierd. They were shy these past few days,but when 2 of my sister's rats came over today,they came out of their shell,and were very happpy. :) When they left though,they became shy again :S Have no idea why. Maybe they need company?

so beautiful...if I was not at my max I so would have taken in one of those momma and a few babies...so adorable. Good luck to them all...

Godmother said:
Anyone who wants to donate to the vet check costs could call Islandview Vet clinic directly at
(506) 453-9998.

I tried phoning and they were not sure what I was talking about...perhaps I should donate directly to SQ? It's unfortunate I can't cross the border at the moment (it's a long story) because I would make the next trip with SQ. I use to make the trip a few times a year to visit family.

Ok, so my understanding is that SQ will see her vet with the rats she's got and NRM will see her vet with the amount of rats that she has.

SQ can take email money transfers. What about NRM? paypal or EMT?

Back