Removing the mom’s nest?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kris

Hi! My female rattie had a litter on August 1st! I have kept an eye on them by looking through the bottom of the tank I have the Mom and babies in. I’ve already noticed a few missing, assuming they died and were eaten by Mom. This is my very first litter. When is it okay to remove the mom’s nest? I won’t touch the babies yet but want to make sure they’re okay and being fed. Can I remove the rest of her nest yet so I can keep a better eye on what’s going on? She’s still obviously very defensive.

what do you mean by remove her nest?

You can take mom out, and while she is absent, clean parts of the tank, handle the babies, and make sure they have milk bellies …… but she needs her nest - unless it is filthy and then I guess you would remove the materials and replace them. Strips of paper towel make good nest material because they do not contain threads

I meant removing the top layers of the nest to be able to at least keep an eye on the babies and to make sure all are getting nursed. She built quite an elaborate nest so the only way to see them is to get down on the floor and peek up through the bottom of the glass tank. However, if that isn’t a good idea or may lead to her hurting them, then I will leave it. This is my first litter so I’m still learning. When is it a good idea to remove those layers? I have heard that it is important to begin holding them at a week old to make sure they’re socialized. And the only way to do that in a few days would be to remove those top layers of the nest.

Pictures?

Take her out for a short while to get a break, run around etc and while she is gone take you the babies etc as I wrote above
You can replace the top layer after you have handled the babies

Last edited:
Removing the nest might make mom stressed out and a stressed out mom will teach her babies to be scared. I would peek on the babies when mom is let out for some run time.

Back