Remaining two rescued - 11 growing babies

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Babies were advertised as free food or pets in Moncton NB kijiji.
The guy had bought 2 young girls and one young boy and the ad was for the unborn babies.
Xxchelle offered to take the 2 pregnant moms and litters into her rescue if I can get them to her from NB.
Wasn't able to reach the guy until Thursday as he didn't answer emails.
He said he wanted to get rid of the 2 potential moms and the dad (all of his rats).
The rats were seperated and living in two plastic containers as he didn't have a cage, etc.
I spent Friday, Sat and Sunday trying to get them picked up and trying to make travel arrangements.
On Sunday a friend was able to pick them up. But one of the girls was already gone :sad3:
I thought the guy was holding them for me ..... I wish it hadn't taken me so long .....
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=22995

February6boy2.jpg

little agouti hooded boy - very friendly, licky, and likes to cuddle

February6boy1.jpg

February6girl1.jpg

little girl (hopefully not pregnant) - afraid of people, doesn't like to be touched

February6girl2.jpg

Unfortunately you can't save them all....but you've made a difference for the girl you managed to get

What will you be doing with the girl now? She still going to Chelle? And the boy? He's some gorgeous, both of them are. I hope you can get the other little girl, poor things. Good job SQ!

Godmother and I will be picking them up on Saturday unless I can get them here sooner (have a kijiji ad posted under rideshare).
If the girl is pregnant, she will be going to Xxchelle in Ontario. I have an ad up on rideshare.
I did have a couple of people who would have taken the girls to Ontario but I didn't have the girls yet.
I am not allowed to get more rats, renting a room, back in univ and no job, etc

If the girl isn't pregnant, I'm not sure ....
The boy will likely be staying here as he is very gentle.
I am hoping he will fit in with my seniors and have free range time with the younger rats.
Sunny needs another rat in there so she isn't the sole recipient of Gus' grooming.

I was told on Thursday that he had seperated the rats about 2 to 3 weeks ago.
I have been told that the girl is not showing any signs of pregnancy.
So keep your fingers crossed that he didn't lie, and the rattie girl isn't pregnant.

or the girl could have an e-spay and then there would be no risk of anyone ending up with a litter they might not be able to find homes for.

If she is pregnant, it will be too late by the time I have her and can get her in to see a vet.

No response to my kijiji ad yet re the other girl ...

Godmother and I drove to Moncton today and picked up the two babies.
Here are a few pictures.
Any guesses as to age?

baby girl ....

February12holdingbabygirl.jpg

let me down !

February12babygirlsbelly.jpg

and dangling ....

February12babygirl1.jpg

February12Eveandbabygirl.jpg

With a puffy Eve in the carrier .... guess Eve does not want to mother another baby ....

February12babygirlonhouse.jpg

and in the carrier by herself ...

February12babygirlstummy.jpg

February12babygirlexpores.jpg

February12babygirlpeeksout.jpg

She doesn't look at all pregnant to me :thumbup:

Both babies have thin, pointy faces.

The baby boy ....

February12babyboydangles.jpg

dangling ......

February12danglingbabyboy.jpg

February12babyboyinchincage.jpg

and in the chinchilla cage .... borrowing a cage as the bar spacing is too wide

February12babyboyneedsanothercage.jpg

How long would people suggest I wait before introing the baby girl in with Eve and her boys? (who are a bit larger then Eve is),
and introing the baby boy in with my two seniors - Gus and Sunny?

(A neuter and a spay have been scheduled however the vet doesn't have any opening until Feb. 21.)

To me she looks about 12weeks? I know my boys were her size at about 15weeks, but they are males and prone to being bigger (especially lard butto Ash). They are sweet! I love the little boy :heart:

Oh definitely younger than 3 months, still got the baby shape rather than the lean adolescent shape. 8 weeks or so?

I would start intro's right away for both of them.

What cuties! I agree, start intros right away. Will you keep the little boy with the elders? Or move him in with the younger crowd once he's neutered? Because Eve's boys are still young...

LOL
The baby boy weighs 165 g and the baby girl weighs 168 g.
Aaron weighs 458 g and Moses weighs 430 g.
They are big muscular boys.
Eve only weighs 402 g and notice the size difference between her and the baby girl:

February12Eveandbabygirl.jpg

The babies sure have a lot of growing to do.
I am hoping that once spayed and neutered, the two babies can live with my seniors (Sunny and Gus), and be introed in with the younger rats for play time. But the spays and neuters may have to be postponed unless they grow a lot in the next week. They are too small for my vet to feel comfortable operating on.
Sunny will be 3 in May and Gus was 2 in Sept.
Their cage is 6 feet long - a connected FN + a CN so lots of room for 2 babies to run and climb and explore without bugging the adults when not snuggling up to the adults for sleep or comforting. Tried them with the baby boy today ... Gus groomed to hard :( but the baby got along well with Sunny ... burrowing under her belly and under her head. Sunny just laid there and closed her eyes when the small baby climbed over her head ... I think she may make a good grammy.

The appointment last week for a spay and a neuter had to be postponed as both ratties are too small for my vet to feel comfortable.
The little girl has a head tilt that is getting worse.
I have been treating her only with clavamox and metacam .... just in case the person who had them was not truthful.
The baby girl is suposed to have been seperated from the baby boy for 5 weeks.
However, during a vet exam today, my vet felt a couple of lumps ....
and since it is highly unlikely that the baby girl has 3 kidneys on one side, an ultra sound has been scheduled for Wednesday.
We need to find out if she is pregnant so we can know what medications are safe to treat her head tilt.

You have had her for two weeks, so if she's not showing, then, if she's preggers, it was right before picking her up. Where she has the head tilt, I would think it would be better for the spay to be done even if she is little because not only do you have to worry about the developing babies, but also the nursing for several weeks afterwards. Is it worth risking a permanent disability in a young girl?

She has a bit of a tummy but it could just be due to eating a good diet
- both rats have been putting on weight.
She is too small for a spay and would be at least 2 weeks along if pregnant.
She is nesting but that is typical behaviour for some girls ....
I too am concerned that she get onto antibiotics that will nail her ear infection asap.
The vet told me to keep her on just the clavamox and the metacam for now.
Hoping she is ok and not pregnant and that meds will soon be added that clear up the head tilt.

Back