Remaining rattie

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angie Stevens

We woke up this am to find that one of our 2 ratties had passed in her sleepšŸ˜„ Very unexpected. No signs of sickness. So how do we help our remaining rat? We really don't want to add to our family. My husband has developed asthma since we got them. What strategies do u have to keep our Star happy and healthy. They are 1.5 yrs old. Thank you.

I'm so sorry for your loss.. How does Star seem to be doing? Some are very unhappy without other rats, but some are just fine. If she's ok then just extra time out with you might be enough for her.... With your hubby's asthma do you have her on the bed or your couch? You can make outings more fun by adding boxes or paper bags.... Maybe you could add something to her cage like a new hideyhouse or reconfigure sometimes to make exploring more fun.... Do you take her fore shoulder rides? If not, maybe you could train her with treats there to enjoy it and take her on explores around your place and let her sit there while you are at computer....
My little guy is alone too. My only bare floor is in the kitchen so in the mornings I block the doorway with a large piece of cardboard (from an opened cardboard box) and let him run around there while I have coffee & do work at the kitchen table, I have a stool beside the chair so he can get up and down with me when he wants to.

Thanks for your note! Sorry for the slow response. A few other things going on;) She seems ok. She developed an infection. 1st round of antibiotics didn't do anything but 2nd seems to have done the trick.
We keep her off the bed and couch. We had been playing w/ her in the bathroom but his symptoms seem to get worse when she's in there. We're getting limited on where she can go!
She's not the best rider on shoulders. I like the idea of giving her a treat.
Thanks again!

If you have not done so, you might consider getting an air filter with a permanent hepa filter and replaceable carbon filters.

If you do not get her a friend, then you will need to spends hours interacting with her a day. You might give her a small stuffed animal to cuddle with - make sure it has no small part or bead type stuffing that she might swallow as she may chew her stuffed toy.
What type of bedding do you use as that may be part of the problem?

We do have a mack-daddy carbon and hepa air filter. We use fleece for the bedding.

I like the stuffed animal idea.

She's getting lots of love. Esp with everyone home.

Thx for the advice!

Back