Rehomed Rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatMan13

Hi y’all!

So, my neighbor got 2 pet rats from a bad owner. She treats them very well and loves them to pieces.

Unfortunately, her new roommate has a dog, Raven, who tries to eat them. On top of that, she hasn’t had much time for them between her other pets, work, and school. So she told me tonight that she was rehoming them.

I pet sit all the time for this neighbor, so I know the rats and their care. So I thought, “Why don’t I take them?”

I have some issues though that might bite me in the ass.
1. I’m 13, so I need to convince my parents to let me keep them.
2. I have a rabbit and chinchilla who I am trying to build new cages for. My parents won’t let me get new pets because of this, although they offered to pay for it, so it’s not regarding money saving (however, since my parents have been nice about the new cage thing, I’ll pay for as much as I can).
3. We just moved into our house, so my parents won’t want a new pet, likely. I need to work around this.
4. I have some closet shelves, which I have figured out how to turn into a sick rat cage. My parents might not let me build it there, though.
5. Our dog might do what Raven is trying to do to them. Although I have figured out numerous ways to keep everybody safe, I worry that my parents will concern for the rats’ safety anyway.

So, how can I work around these issues and convince my parents to let me take care of the rats?

-RatMan13

Hi RatMan,

You list 5 issues, but it all sounds like 1: your parents not being on board with the idea. And they need to be respected for a bunch of reasons, not least - it's their home you're trying to bring additional pets into. Here's a thread posted on another forum (which I found a link to on this forum), which may help.

Does your neighbor already have all the supplies for the rats? In that case that would help with some of the setup and hopefully offset the new pet costs and changes. When I lived with my parents my first approach to convincing them of anything was to research heavily and know all the facts to ease any worries. I hope you’re able to take in these rats but if you can’t you can always help your neighbor find a good home for them :)

Back