Red chunks around eye of old rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calxx16

hi im new here so hopefully this is the right catorgory for this,
my rattie's name is Bolt and she is now over 3 years old. she has got non cancerous tumours next to one of her arms (i asked the vet and as she is old, I wont be getting them removed)

Within the past few months, my rat has had chunky red bits all around her eyes (one worse than the other) I've been removing it with cold kettle water to gentle remove it. It has started to cause bold patches of fur around her eye. Any help/ advice on this?

I can take some pictures of it if that would help. I don't really want to take her vet as she is in a fragile state and stressing her out this old is the last thing i want.
Many thanks

here is what her eye looks like, her fur is basically chunked together with blood or maybe porphyrin

Attachments

• IMG-3262.jpg
    IMG-3262.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 194
I think its a respiratory infection. Does she have any wheezing, sneezing, or sounds coming from her lungs? You can get doxycycline to treat her from ladygouldianfinch.com-Discounted Bird Supplies-Free Samples but I dont think you will get it soon enough.
no she doesnt wheeze, sneeze or any sounds coming from her lungs. she recently a week ago lost her sister (same litter) as well due to old age so i didnt know whether that had anything to do with it.

can you smell near her eye? porphyrin won't smell like much, but if she has an eye infection it won't smell pleasant.

Porphyrin when its on a spot continuously like that can cause the fur to "burn" off. I would just wipe her eyes clean every day as often as you can.

Is there anything else you do to help her in her old age? Rub itchy waxy ears, scratch sides, muzzle etc where she cannot reach herself anymore?

thanks for everyone help on here a few months ago, I forgot to keep everyone on here updated. My rat died a week after making this thread and generally i think old age played a huge factor on it.

Back