Recommended snacks ?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kye

Staff member
Hiya.! I was looking around and I wanted to get another opinion(or a few~) on snacks.! I limit the yogies because of the sugar content... I was wondering what you guys would recommend for snacks.? I'd prefer to buy them other than make them because I fear I might mess it up- I read about Malt Paste being good for them and a good treat.? If that's true what flavor.? Any responses are appreciated.!

I feed mine Harlan teklad food or now know as envigo Harlan, and I use oxbow adult rat food as fun, since it is so bit sized :) I have a lot of rats, if I am always giving yogies wow hehe. I also give them stuff in moderations. Or make snacks for them with the crumbs of their left over food... Or my personally favorite the cheerios you find with the least sugar.

Millet sprays (often used for birds) are a great treat here and there, plain greek yogurt is great for them, plain cheerios are great, almonds sometimes (though monitor it bc too much protein can result in hair loss), rice pops are a fun treat, watermelon if they like it is a great treat bc it's sweet but mostly water (it's also easy to cut into small slices for training), and my rats personal favorites are always meal worms (again need to watch frequency bc of protein) though I have meal worms bc I also own some lizards who eat them I know not everyone wants meal worms in their house haha.

Millet sprays (often used for birds) are a great treat here and there, plain greek yogurt is great for them, plain cheerios are great, almonds sometimes (though monitor it bc too much protein can result in hair loss), rice pops are a fun treat, watermelon if they like it is a great treat bc it's sweet but mostly water (it's also easy to cut into small slices for training), and my rats personal favorites are always meal worms (again need to watch frequency bc of protein) though I have meal worms bc I also own some lizards who eat them I know not everyone wants meal worms in their house haha.
I have chickens myself so I've got a stock.!

I like to keep their food completely healhty, so I never do sugar for them. But for a treat, they get raw sunflower seeds. They love it. I never do any animal products for them because of concern with high protein and high fat. That's a big no-no for rats.

What are the ingredients of your malt paste. Most malt pastes are composed of fats and oils. Definitely not good for rats.
Ah- I haven't bought any incase it was bad... So thank you for the information.!

Blueberries! Lots of antioxidants. :) Just make sure to try one or two before picking up a carton...unripe, sour blueberries usually result in the yuck-yuck dance lol.

My rat loves sunflower seeds. She literally goes crazy over them! I give her Mazuri rat&mouse lab blocks, about 3 a day because she's still young. She also really likes apple. We have quail so I toss in a little bit of their game bird mix around her cage for her to forage for. Maybe 1 a week I give her 1 piece of our dogs' food to. They are on a grain-free natural diet and I look over the ingredients and there's nothing in there that can harm her giving it occasionally.

My boys love cucumber! I slice a medallion about 1/8-1/4 inch thick and cut it in half. And each boy gets a half. They devour it in about a minute. And plain Cheerios...

for good reliable information on diet and treats, please see our Reference Thread REFERENCE Thread - Read Only

Remember that sugar feeds cancer, most fats and oils as well as dairy are very unhealthy, and rats require low protein preferably from plant sources.
Good treats for rats include kumut puffs (organic cereal with no additives), a few organic pumpkin seeds, berries, a piece of fruit, vegs, cooked grains etc

Back