Re-homing two baby rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Clarissa Johal

We’re looking to re-home two rats, about 2 months old. One is a dumbo (male) and the other is a hooded (female). My daughter has discovered she’s very allergic. We'd be willing to drive the rats with two separate cages/supplies up to a 60 mile radius of Raleigh, NC to a new home. We were going to neuter the male when he became of age but he is intact (the breeder told my daughter they were both females when she bought them). They’ve been separated at this point-hence the two cages! We don't want them to become snake food--they're very nice rats and would make good pets.

Attachments

• Female rat.jpg
    Female rat.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 228
  • male rat.jpg
    male rat.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 246
There are several people on here that are allergic to rats and manage their allergies - if you are interested in finding out more, make another thread and give info about the symptoms
and they provide info on what works for them and how they manage

Also in some cases, people can be allergic to the bedding not the animals

Here is some info that may be helpful when rehoming your babies
https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/rehoming-a-rat-or-accidental-litter-things-to-consider.22990/

As you likely are aware, each baby will need to go to a home where they will live with at least 1 other same sex baby

good luck to you and the two babies

We've tried different bedding and it's not that. I wish--that would be an easy fix. She had a major respiratory response as in an ER visit. The rats are in the other room with the door closed and I'm taking care of them, including keeping up with socialization so they don't feel neglected. I will wait a week before I decide if we want to neuter the male so they can at least be together--I hate that they're seperated right now. Again--if anyone can take one or both of these rats, we are willing to drive them within a 60 mile radius of Raleigh to ensure they get a good home. Thanks!

Also, make sure you wash your hands and change clothes right after handling. Some of us have "rattie" clothes we wear when we handle our rats. My daughter is pretty allergic, and we just keep the purifier on, and she has to limit contact, and clean herself after play time. Also, sometimes it's the un neutered boy's pee that gives the allergic response. But even if you rehome them, I'd get allergy tests (they can do a blood test, and test for rat allergies) and find out specific allergens. The Dr can also prescribe meds to help cope. Hope she feels better, and hope your ratties find good homes.

Back