RE-EDIT: What's the cost to care for a rat 1 week?

Discussion in 'Habitat' started by RatsDrawBlood, Jun 10, 2018.

Help Support Rat Shack Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Jun 10, 2018 #1

RatsDrawBlood

RatsDrawBlood

RatsDrawBlood

EDIT:
    This question isn't about rats who might eat such a large amount of nesting material that they're not hungry for the nutritious stuff they need. I'm not asking what nesting materials don't give deficiencies upon being a significant part of the diet. I just mean, what will digest fast enough, that the rat won't die of blockage (upon eating it once), if there is such a nesting material? Also part of this is, if a nesting material would be dangerous to eat yet isn't the kind of thing a rat would want to eat, that nesting material's fine too. I wanted to get the below because it looks too fluffy to eat? Whereas rats have been known to consume paper-type products. By the way, their substrate is EcoEarth.
    https://www.kaytee.com/all-products/small-animal/kaytee-bamboo-nesting-material
    Kaytee Bamboo Nesting Material
    Provide your pet with the Natural Nesting Alternative using Kaytee's Bamboo Nesting Material. The fluffy dye-free material will satisfy your pet's natural burrowing instincts and give them material to build a secure nesting spot.
    • Made from natural 100% Rayon derived from Bamboo dye-free material
    • Encourages natural burrowing and nesting instincts
    • Made from a sustainable resource and is recyclable
    • Includes: 25-grams of nesting material
    • For Hamsters, Guinea Pigs, Rabbits and other small animals

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  2. Jun 10, 2018 #2

RatsDrawBlood

RatsDrawBlood

RatsDrawBlood

I just now found the below which is mainly reverse from what I'd thought. Does anyone know a source with dependable quality for hay?
    http://www.petwebsite.com/rats/rat_bedding.asp
    "A rat will appreciate some bedding material with which to build a 'nest'. Bedding material can be bought in pet shops but any fluffy cotton wool type bedding should be avoided as this can cause harm if eaten by the rat and the fine fibres can become caught around the rat's limb causing injury. Do not give your rat pieces of material or wool, etc for bedding material as this will also cause problems if eaten by the rat as it will not dissolve in the stomach and may cause a blockage. If in doubt as to whether any bedding material is safe for your rat - do not use it.

Soft paper bedding is best as this causes no harm if eaten and is easily broken down. It is not necessary to buy bedding as this can be provided much cheaper simply by taking undyed and unscented toilet paper or paper towel and tearing it into strips for your rat.

Hay can also be used but it should be clean and not mouldy or dusty. Straw should not be used as the sharp edges can injure a rat."

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  3. Jun 11, 2018 #3

RatsDrawBlood

RatsDrawBlood

RatsDrawBlood

I just now was given hay from a bale. Do I freeze it to kill bugs?

4. Jun 11, 2018 #4

RatsDrawBlood

RatsDrawBlood

RatsDrawBlood

I'll be a hundred before I stop thinking of more things I need for my rats:
    Realized I forgot the Critter Nation shelf needs to be covered, I think to protect them from bumblefoot, although I think they might not pee there. Lost the mat it came with, which wasn't good enough anyway.
    They probably move in the day after tomorrow.
    The below instructions take time, sewing & a weird extra material I don't have. Just now I dressed the shelf in a sleeveless sweatshirt that covers most of it. Will this be safe (till I can rig full coverage, secure it so they don't go under, & find out if the reason for using U-haul pads is in case it smells otherwise)?
    http://ratropolis.blogspot.com/2013/10/liner-instructions-for-critter-nations.html

5. Jun 11, 2018 #5

RatsDrawBlood

RatsDrawBlood

RatsDrawBlood

In March I thought "The cage is the only nonedible I ever have to buy, because it comes with water bottle, dish and exercise wheel. I'll line it with newspaper (& she can play with, chew, hide and sleep in other stuff from my recycle bin)." Ha ... ha ... ha .... I just counted that I've bought her over forty things so far. (Besides food.)

6. Jun 12, 2018 #6

RatsDrawBlood

RatsDrawBlood

RatsDrawBlood

How much do you guys pay per week for just the "lodging" of a rat (her share of the bedding/chews/food/water)?

7. Jun 13, 2018 #7

SQ

SQ

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

Impossible for me to guess ... but if you are eating a healthy diet then you would likely give them some of the variety of daily vegs and greens you buy for yourself

8. Jun 13, 2018 #8

SqueakingJellybean

SqueakingJellybean

SqueakingJellybean

Mission Control -- All is ratness

We've never worked it out to a weekly amount, let alone a weekly amount per rat. So much depends on how many you have, whether everyone is healthy, how old they are (and thus what kind of food they need), what sort of bedding, things like that.

Our fuzzies have cloth bedding. The floor underlayer is flannel sheeting; we cover that with a layer of Dollar Store fleece pet blanket. Their laundry is done once a week using scent-free detergent and no fabric softener. The Harlan-Teklad lab blocks run about $15 for 10lbs., but do you include shipping in that maintenance cost? As far as fresh fruits and veggies go, they get what we get, for the most part, though I'll sometimes pick up some watermelon or another treat just for them.

Critter Nation floors are solid plastic. They shouldn't be at risk of bumblefoot from something that has no bare bars as flooring. Do you have ramp covers?

Have at least $300 set aside for emergency vet expenses.

If you don't mind my asking, how long have you been a rat person? I'm not trying to sound snarky or holier-than-thou, but frankly, your posts are confusing me a little. Sometimes you post as if you've been living with rats for more than a decade and are telling people here how to rat properly, and other times it sounds like you've never had them and are unsure what's required.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    SQ likes this.
  9. Jun 13, 2018 #9

SqueakingJellybean

SqueakingJellybean

SqueakingJellybean

Mission Control -- All is ratness

We've also never had problems with rats eating their bedding. Chewing, yes, but not eating. I have no idea how common that is, but it sounds like something that would only come up if there was something terribly wrong with the rat already. So long as there's adequate healthy food, plenty of water, play time, and stuff to keep them busy, they should be okay. (If anyone has experience to the contrary, please feel free to correct me on the frequency of this issue.)

Some of ours have been gleeful chewers of just about everything (including brand new drapes that got too close to the DCN), while others have stuck to cardboard and wood gnaws. We've used cloth bedding for the better part of sixteen years, and nobody has eaten fabric yet.

10. Jun 13, 2018 #10

jorats

jorats

jorats

Not So Much Staff Member Admin

lol I remember when I first got rats, I would constantly be thinking about them and what else I can get them.