Ratty with URI on meds

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lisa Barcelos

Hello everyone,
I am a new rat mama too two beautiful girls. I noticed my baby Nova sneezing and breathing funny so I took her in and sure enough I was right. The vet put her on 2 antibiotics one doxy to fight it from two ends. He also gave me an anti inflammatory for pain releife of her little lungs. He was amazing. However I just need to know is it like human when we get antibiotics and we sound worse before getting better? I'm not sure if its the build up breaking up or if I should be concerned? Its only day 2 of meds but Im worried. She's eating drinking and playing still. Also they are litter trained on fleece with reusable pee pad under. Get an arrangement of veggies, steamed chicken and blocks. Two water dishes. I bought a air purifier and a warm mist humidifier the day I heard it start so her air is nice for her. Thank you for any advice

Antibiotics should take 3-4 days to start to work. If they don’t start to work by then, you should go back to the vet and try a different antibiotic/combo.
It sounds like you’re doing a really great job with your girls! It’s always best to take them to the vet and start them on meds as soon as you notice anything, and it sounds like you’re really on top of it which is great.

Thank you! I will keep an eye. He was great and gave me extra to give to Luna incase she gets sick also. When I had them out to play I notice she breaths better I think I just worry when she first wakes and moves around.Thats when she starts. After about 15 mins she seems great. Just a little congested when we cuddle. So glad this forum is here! Donated because this is a great source of info. I did a lot of research and reading before I adopted my girls.However its nice to have people on hand to give wisdom.

she is on doxy and ?
and the anti infalmatory is?
do you know her weight, each dose (mls) and the strength of each med (mg/ml)
Nova weighed .66
The anti inflammatory is meloxicam 1.5 mg .03 ml 1x daily
Doxycycline .02ml X 2 daily 12hrs
Enroflaxacin .02ml X 2 daily
She is 16 weeks now. I believe she's been sick since I got her based on her sneezing not alivieating like Luna's when she settled.
Also I have a 2 week cycle then a follow up. I sent you're vegan I am also. Have you read anything about focusing more on a vegan diet in rattie for health? I read it can lower risks of cancer and early sickness from age.

Hi and welcome :)
I haven't read a lot specific to rats but …

The recommended diet for rats is a good quality low protien block (Oxbow or Harlan Teklad 2014) always available
and a variety of daily veg (there is a forbidden foods list)
and occasional healthy treats such as berries, a piece of fruit, cooked grains (such as quinoa, oatmeal etc), organic pumpkin seeds, squash seeds, organic kumut puffs (no added ingredients), a few chick peas, a few cooked dry beans etc
little or no processed foods, no foods with added sugar, added salt, or added fat
rats need low protien and research shows it is best if it comes from a plant source

so depending upon which rat block you choose, pet rats are on a plant based diet if they eat healthy :)

You might like to check out the thread on food dos and don'ts https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/reference-thread-read-only.35894/

I can't double check the doses as don't know the strength of the meds
but if the baytril + doxy doesn't start to help soon, you will want to contact the vet and see about trying a different combo such as baytril + azithromycin (10mg/Ib twice a day) - I get mine from a pharmacy by prescription from my vet. If antibiotics are helping then she will need to stay on them for at least 4 weeks (I have found that my rats need 6 weeks)

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Hi and welcome :)
I haven't read a lot specific to rats but …

The recommended diet for rats is a good quality low protien block (Oxbow or Harlan Teklad 2014) always available
and a variety of daily veg (there is a forbidden foods list)
and occasional healthy treats such as berries, a piece of fruit, cooked grains (such as quinoa, oatmeal etc), organic pumpkin seeds, squash seeds, organic kumut puffs (no added ingredients), a few chick peas, a few cooked dry beans etc
little or no processed foods, no foods with added sugar, added salt, or added fat
rats need low protien and research shows it is best if it comes from a plant source

so depending upon which rat block you choose, pet rats are on a plant based diet if they eat healthy :)

You might like to check out the thread on food dos and don'ts https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/reference-thread-read-only.35894/

I can't double check the doses as don't know the strength of the meds
but if the baytril + doxy doesn't start to help soon, you will want to contact the vet and see about trying a diff combo such as baytril + azithromycin (10mg/Ib twice a day) - I get mine from a pharmacy by prescription from my vet. If antibiotics are helping then she will need to stay on them for at least 4 weeks (I have found that my rats need 6 weeks)

Hope this helps
Thank you so much for the advice. I'll definitely watch for her symptoms and incorporate those diet selections.

Back