Ratty not ok

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emma6195

Hi,

My 18 month old rat has changed in his behaviour. He's a lot more lethargic and just lies on the settee when he used run around everywhere.
He still rats but not as much and has lost weight and becoming skinny. His breathing is also quickened. I can't hear any issues for it to be respiratory.

I can't get a vet appointment until Tuesday help .

Aww sorry that’s happening, usually when they get lethargic it’s a pretty bad sign especially combined with quick breathing and loosing weight. Definitely try to take your ratty to the vet as soon as possible, I would classify that as an emergency so maybe an emergency vet would be able to take him in. If he won’t eat maybe try to offer something more tempting than normal rat blocks that is safe for him to eat. My rats that passed away all had quick breathing and lethargy, it’s a difficult thing to deal with.

Last edited:
How is he?
What did the vet say?

I imagine that it is respiratory because in the change in his breathing, and that would be the cause of the other things you are noticing.

Back