Ratty bleeding

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockchicknat

Hello, I am new and just wanted a bit of advice. I have a female rat who is about 2 years old, I've been to the vet already and been given options about what to do.

I've noticed vaginal bleeding (not loads), the vet did an examination and said she couldn't feel a tumour (yet). She is on antibiotics already and can still notice the bleeding. I don't really know the best way to handle it, I feel like she may be too old for a spay but I don't want to get to the point she suffers either.. I don't want her to be in any pain but I don't actually know what's wrong with her.. She is still eating, running around as usual like nothings wrong.

When did you see the vet? Antibiotics can take some time to work.. If you trust your vet is rat-knowledgeable be patient. (It's Really important to hunt up a vet that is Rat-knowledgeable & experienced, not all of them are, and it can be the difference between life & death in an illness). If your vet is not you could get a second opinion if you can afford to.

Oh sorry, I should have been more specific, my Rat is on antibiotics for a respy infection, we've just added in amox just to kind of see if anything changes.. She said that usually bleeding is either tumour or something to do with the reproductive organs... She said it's really hard to know which way to go with it with her being 2 years old

Oh, so she knows about the bleeding but couldn't give a diagnosis? Was she hoping the antibiotics might help the bleeding too, or was that just for respiratory and she could only suggest a spay for the bleeding? If she thought the antibiotics might help the bleeding too then it could take a week or so.. I don't have experience with vaginal bleeding, hopefully someone that does can help more.

It's hard to diagnose bleeding apparently... They usually suggest spaying but she's a bit older and risky operation.. So I don't really know how to approach it with her being 2 years old. She gave me a few options... I. E spaying or tumours and she said she couldn't feel a tumour yet. She said sometimes in rare occasions antibiotics can clear infections if that's what has caused it but more with amox so I swapped from doxy to That.. I doubt it will clear it but its worth a shot.

I guess your best course is to give the antibiotics some time, then reassess. I sure hope they work.
Far as spaying, I understand your reluctance to subject her to an operation when she's older. The biggest consideration is your vet's knowledge/skill/experience level. If you have an extremely rat-savvy vet who has done lots of spays she should be ok even at that age, but if not then I'd worry about it too. My fingers are crossed for you both.

how long was she on the baytril for before you switched to amoxicillin? Sometimes vaginal bleeding can just be a genital myco outbreak, and the baytril is what would clear it up. Can take 5 days or more. Amoxi isn't effective against myco.

Vaginal bleeding can be myco (which is why most vets prescribe antibiotics for at least a week), vaginal polyps, uterine masses or infection. How bad is the bleeding? Does she constantly ooze or is it just a little? Did it improve at all on the antibiotics?

Hello, she was on baytril and doxy for about a week due to respiritory infection I noticed the bleeding about a week ago I've only just switched to amox but still taking the baytril.. I only noticed a bit of a discharge once which was a bit green/yellow (I couldn't actually tell where that came from) which may have indicated bacterial as well.. There isn't much bleeding but there shouldn't be no blood at all..

Back