Rattie rescued July 19 2014

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Patty was spayed today and came through wonderfully.
However by the time she was ready to go home, she had removed all of her stiches.
Patty was put under and stitched up again.
This evening she enjoyed racing around exploring her clean cage and running on her wheel.
She isn't too impressed with the clean hammock.
Unfortunately Patty removed all of her stiches again this evening ... not sure why she will not leave them alone as she is not displaying any signs of pain.
No bleeding, just gaping open .... So, I will be phoning the vet in the morning.

Patty was introed to godmothers other girls and had a good life for awhile.
https://www.ratshackforum.com/threa...tty-intro-with-a-challenge.30625/#post-449935

After awhile all her friends passed away and godmother introed her to a group of younger rats.
They did not get along and poor Patty was bullied, attacked, and beat up by them for the remainder of her life.
I asked godmother to let me have her back several times as I wanted to intro Patty to my rats in the hope that she would have friends and feel safe …… godmother kept refusing and told me that Patty had made friends with some of her younger girls, that Patty snuggled and slept with them. So I stopped asking, thinking Patty was ok.

One week when I was over at godmothers to clean her rat cages, I found Patty's dead body in a hammock.
When I asked godmother if Patty had been ill, she did not know.
Godmother was unable to even remember the last time she had seen Patty alive …. saying that she hadn't seen Patty for a long time because Patty was always hiding because the other rats beat her up and she was frightened.

I guess godmother lied to me when I asked her to give me Patty back.

It has been years and I still am filled with guilt and remorse.
IMO Patty died because she was neglected by godmother. If godmother had checked Patty at least once a day - as rat owners need to do, she would have noticed if Patty had become ill and been able to provide her with medical care.
IMO godmother gave Patty a horrible life during the last part of her life. Patty's life was filled with fear, hiding, being bullied, and neglect by godmother who never cuddled her, handled her, or even saw her. :(
I blame myself for what happened to Patty, for not realising how bad things were and for not taking her.

Unfortunately Patty was not the only rat that suffered and died because of godmother's actions.
Fortunately godmother no longer has rats …. I put her last rat, Rhys, to sleep July 26, 2018 after caring for him at my place for approx. the last 8 months of his life - He lived with me so he would not be a lone rat and because he had many special needs requiring a great deal of care.

Last edited:
Hi SQ,
That's FN awesome that you got her. She's gorgeous. I am spinally disabled and don't drive as well. I'm also pretty poor but there's nothing I wouldn't do for my ratties. They make my life incredibly awesome and they are my FAMILY. I can tell you feel the same way about yours.

There's is nothing so human than the human-animal bond and rats just have that special emotional intelligence that makes life joyous. I got rats late in life and I can't imagine ever being without them.

Patty was introed to godmothers other girls and had a good life for awhile.
When Hadley Met Patty: intro with a challenge

After awhile all her friends passed away and godmother introed her to a group of younger rats.
They did not get along and poor Patty was bullied, attacked, and beat up by them for the remainder of her life.
I asked godmother to let me have her back several times as I wanted to intro Patty to my rats in the hope that she would have friends and feel safe …… godmother kept refusing and told me that Patty had made friends with some of her younger girls, that Patty snuggled and slept with them. So I stopped asking, thinking Patty was ok.

One week when I was over at godmothers to clean her rat cages, I found Patty's dead body in a hammock.
When I asked godmother if Patty had been ill, she did not know.
Godmother was unable to even remember the last time she had seen Patty alive …. saying that she hadn't seen Patty for a long time because Patty was always hiding because the other rats beat her up and she was frightened.

I guess godmother lied to me when I asked her to give me Patty back.

It has been years and I still am filled with guilt and remorse.
IMO Patty died because she was neglected by godmother. If godmother had checked Patty at least once a day - as rat owners need to do, she would have noticed if Patty had become ill and been able to provide her with medical care.
IMO godmother gave Patty a horrible life during the last part of her life. Patty's life was filled with fear, hiding, being bullied, and neglect by godmother who never cuddled her, handled her, or even saw her. :(
I blame myself for what happened to Patty, for not realising how bad things were and for not taking her.

Unfortunately Patty was not the only rat that suffered and died because of godmother's actions.
Fortunately godmother no longer has rats …. I put her last rat, Rhys, to sleep July 26, 2018 after caring for him at my place for approx. the last 8 months of his life - He lived with me so he would not be a lone rat and because he had many special needs requiring a great deal of care.
OMG so incredibly sad that my heart hurts just from reading this. I just lost my old man after months of hospice care and constant attention and live. Even though he was a terribly aggressive guy most of his life, lol. I always love them no matter what til the very last day

Back