Rattie is suddenly barely moving, she only kicks when annoyed and falls on right side

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maedhros

When I went to check on my rattie's after I woke up at about 4 PM yesterday, I noticed my rat, Whisper, was suddenly very lethargic. She wouldn't even move herself from on top of her sister, Cadence, who was trying desperately to run for the usual treat. I picked her up and she flailed a little (she's not a snuggly rat, she's usually all energy). She just laid limp in my arms and didn't try to escape as usual. I sat her on the floor and she limp/waddle/kick/hopped clumsily and kept falling on her right side. She would try to eat if food was in front of her but seemed to weak.

By 3 AM she was lying on her side and would only move to kick at Cadence when she was to close or try to sit on her. She circled to cage once for no apparent reason and could only kick her legs and use her front legs for support to do this. I am really worried, especially because she acts like she would eat or drink if she could, but she doesn't have the energy to move, and it all came on very suddenly. Also, her eyes were practically glued shut with porphyrin. I used a damp cloth to soften it and she opened her left eye, but her right eye stayed squinty. Around the same time her breathing was almost snorty, almost like when someone has phlegm in their throats, but it went away soon and I haven't heard it like that since.

I looked up her symptoms and I'm pretty sure she hasn't got an ear infection, as she isn't tilting her head to one side, it's her whole body that won't function correctly. Is there anything I can do to help her? I, sadly, do not think I can bring her to a vet.

Can you post a video? It could be an ear infection, they don't always have a head tilt. It could also be a stroke or a pituitary tumour.

Your rat needs a vet! She probably needs antibiotics ASAP - sounds like an infection of some kind or possibly a stroke. How old is your rat?

She is two years old, almost exactly. I can try to post a video but my computer isn't letting my camera connect.

Still can't get my camera connected... But I was trying to see if I could get her to eat or drink anything and I noticed her tongue was either swollen or just limp with it partially sticking out on the right side of her teeth. That is why I am thinking is it most likely neurological rather than an ear infection. Though I could definitely be wrong... Either way, is there anything I can do to make her more comfortable?

It sounds like a stroke. If you can get her to the vet, steroids can sometimes (often) reduce the swelling and give them a chance to recover. I've had rats come back from strokes after being immobile for 72 hours.

Thank you everyone for replying, I will have to see what I can do as far as getting her to the vet:/

Sorry to hear about your rattie. I too think it is probably a stroke because of its sudden onset and the one-sidedness. Good luck with her!

Back