Rattie aggression

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

-Ewhite-

Hello!

I'm new here but I've been having a problems with my two lovely ratties and I was hoping someone on here might be able to help me!

I have two rat boys (Tony and Peter) both over a year old now and have always lived together happily. Tony was always the more dominant of the two; he'd get the food first, he'd always win the play fights etc. But recently Peter has been standing up to him a bit. The last couple of weeks Tony has been a bit more timid and seemed slightly scared of Peter, I assumed this was just something going on between them and left them to it, but the other day Peter bit Tony, like really bit him. Tony is all healed up so please don't worry, we took him to the vet and they're currently in different cages (which Tony seems very happy about). I thought I'd leave them in separate cages for a while and reintroduce them back soon, but Peter has started getting aggressive to me now. Peter has never ever bitten before, he was the sweetest most cuddly rat and now if he's out of the cage playing he will literally make a beeline for me and bite. I've read about how bad rat bites can be so he's definitely not biting as hard as he could, but it's been deep enough to draw blood, and it's happened a couple of days in a row. I really don't understand why he's biting, or what to do about it! Also when he is about to bite he makes this sound which sounds like quick exhaling out of his nose. Please help! Thank you

I’ve been having a small aggression problem with my 6-7 month old boy and people have suggested I get him neutered. Even though he seems to bite me out of nowhere he hasn’t Bee lined for my hands. Maybe Peter is sick or in pain and feels like he needs to protect himself and his space from intruders?

I would think it's time for a neuter on Peter. If take him to the vet, and get him a good check up to make sure nothing else is going on, and if the vet is knowledgeable in neutering rats, then I'd get that taken care of ASAP. It really sounds like hormones making him aggressive. After a few weeks, you should see a difference in his behavior. Then you can reintroduce them, as they both really need a cagemate. There are some tips on other threads about dealing with rat aggression as well. But I'd definitely start at the vet.

Rats also become aggressive in response to stress. I have two rats, Owen and Peter, who are becoming aggressive to everyone else but each other. I've separated them. jorats suggested a neuter, especially when they bite their humans. Since I'm currently looking for a knowledgeable rat vet in my area to neuter these two, I've separated them from the other cagemates and I've lowered my interactions with them down to only for important things.

Back