Rats won’t sleep in bed

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Superherorats

I bought my rats a small wooden hide with a round hole at the entrance when they were young, knowing it wouldn’t last then forever. They’re now very squished in it and over the months urine etc has soaked into the wood and it stinks!

So I bought them a larger, similar hide, more space, still wooden, this time with a larger rectangular window in and out. They refuse to use it at all and just sat outside the whole time and got really stressed.

So I bought them another plastic hide, 3 entrances into it and hangs on the ceiling. But they don’t wanna use it either.

I covered the front of the larger wooden one with a blanket so it was more private. They’re slightly more keen but still reluctant.

Why is this? What can I do to make them comfortable? They can’t stay in the original one ammonia is so strong, and I’m sure it’s not hygienic

Also, you may find that rats will sleep in weird places. They'll nap inside Kleenex boxes, balanced on rope perches, draped over the top of an igloo or cardboard box, anywhere a rat can fit.

Yeah, that sounds pretty normal. I remember spending lots of money on a very cool rat house only to find them prefer a box I put in the cage as well. Mine really liked hanging hammocks.

Back