Rats used for class

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ViciousCurse

So, I just thought this could be a fun thing to share. I'm currently taking an Ecology class through my local college and my class is required to create and run an individual independent project. I knew from the beginning, I wanted to "test" my rats. Before there is any concern, the first thing I said to my professor is "I don't want to hurt, stress, or do anything inhumane to them." My rat's safety and health for this project were the upmost concern. My professor agreed.

After some back and forth, we decided to do a rather simple test-- memory. As it stands right now, I plan to construct a maze for my rats (don't know complexity quite yet, but it shouldn't be too difficult for them), and then test how fast it takes them to figure out the maze and see if they remember it up to two weeks later (with some other trials in between). I also plan to look at the relationship between age and how long it takes them to figure it out, and if they remember it. I have three rats over the age of two, two that are about a 1.5 year old, and two that are on the cusp of their first birthdays.

My rats will not be starved, dehydrated, etc. before, after, or during the test. I just plan to stick them in a maze, see how long it takes them to figure it out, give them some high-reward treats when finished, and then put them back in their cage. Nothing stressful. Ideally, I see it as enrichment for them that I can use after my project is done. If my rats become sick or injured (either from the maze or something else) they will not be doing the maze. All trials will be done in my home and I will monitor how the rats are doing during their maze run.

In all actuality, hopefully my rats will just think it's fun.

My question is to you guys is there any concern with this project I should know about? Like I said, their health and safety is my concern, so we will not hurt them in any way.

Sounds like they will have a fun time! I used to build cardboard castles for my rats, they loved it. They would go to each part and check it all out. They were never stressed out about it.
It's going to be fun!

Back