Rats that haven't been socialized... HELP!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kardinalkalamity

Hi there!
I recently got pet rats after years of not having them. I got 3 little girls named Aziraphale, Crowley and Adam (they're rats, they don't care that the names are male gendered haha.)

I looked at local rescues but no rats were available, and there are no active ratteries in my city. So I went to a place I've gotten rats before ; a local pet shop. However, this petshop gets all their animals from rescues or responsible breeders... Or apparently, they used to. Every rat I've gotten there before was super healthy, well socialized and used to being manipulated.

Apparently, that shop changed owners and obviously that's changed. My new girls are completely unsocialized. It's like they've never been touched before. It's been a month and it's gotten a little better but not by much.

They don't come out of their hiding spot much.

I've been handfeeding them food every night, they take it from my fingers and from my palm with no problem. When I make kissy noises with my mouth they put their heads out to get food since I've been doing it everytime. But when I present my fingers alone, they sniff them then leave... Except Adam, who has bitten me multiple times. Small bites, obviously she thought I was food but she keeps doing it. Recently Crowley has let me touch her head while she was eating but that's about it.

The only time I manipulate them more is when I take them in my hands to put them in a smaller cage when I clean the cage.

The cats were trying to put their paws in the cage often and scaring them so I've put a cover on it to keep them away.

For info, they're in a simple critter nation and they're fed on Oxbow regal rat. I have a double critter nation and I'm planning on putting it that way and blocking the lower part so they're higher away from the floor and the cats leave them alone.

I'd really appreciate if anyone had any advice, thank you

I wouldn't block the lower cage. If they dont want to be there they will just leave. About socialization, im im so you unfortunately got some lesser socialized rats. 2 options...keep working with them and love them unconditionally, or get a couple more, better sourced rats to give yourself a couple friendly ones as well. Good luck

Congrats on your little girls!

Please see joinrats.com for helpful ideas re socialization.
Talk to them a lot and allow them to become used to you and their environment.
you can give them soft food on a spoon to lick off, hand them treats (you can present food on your flat hand).
Do not reach down from above to pet them or to pick them up as they may think you are a predator.
It does sound like the girls are slowly getting used to you. They may have had very bad experiences with people and it may take time for them to trust you.

Although it is best to house rats in a main room of the house so they receive a lot of interaction,
you may want to keep the girls in an area that is cat free - it is normal for rats to be terrified of predators like cats, and to even be terrified of the smell of predators. Also ensure that you do not smell like a cat.
A former member of this forum purchased a used cat climber for her rats and had it in the enclosed porch in her home - her rats in a second floor bedroom were terrified by the smell and hid until the cat carrier was removed from the house.
Some rats are not terrified of cats - such as rats infected with the brain parasite Toxoplasma
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0023277

As you are likely aware,
- covering the cage will interfere with air flow and ventilation, which will likely increase respiratory infections and may cause lung damage due to ammonia build up
- due to poor eyesight, rats rely heavily on their sense of smell. If your hands smell like food, rats will think it is food and bite

Last edited:

you can give them soft food on a spoon to lick off, hand them treats (you can present food on your flat hand).
Do not reach down to pet them or to pick them up as they may think you are a predator.
It does sound like the girls are slowly getting used to you. They may have had very bad experiences with people and it may take time for them to trust you.

Although it is best to house rats in a main room of the house so they receive a lot of interaction,
you may want to keep the girls in an area that is cat free - it is normal for rats to be terrified of predators like cats, and to even be terrified of the smell of predators. Also ensure that you do not smell like a cat.
A former member of this forum purchased a used cat climber for her rats and had it in the enclosed porch in her home - her rats in a second floor bedroom were terrified by the smell and hid until the cat carrier was removed from the house.
Some rats are not terrified of cats - such as rats infected with the brain parasite Toxoplasma

As you are likely aware,
- covering the cage will interfere with air flow and ventilation, which will likely increase respiratory infections and may cause lung damage due to ammonia build up
- due to poor eyesight, rats rely heavily on their sense of smell. If your hands smell like food, rats will think it is food and bite
I don't have place in any other room, sadly, but that's why I plan on making the cage higher; so the cats leave them alone without me havingto cover the cage. However, the cage is agaisnt a corner in the wall, so the back and one side of the cage (those towards the wall) are unconvered so there's still some air flow

Do not reach down from above to pet them or to pick them up as they may think you are a predator.

As you are likely aware,

My rats were very bitey with food at first. Since then I can pass them food, always through a door, then put my fingers through and never have an issue. They don't even teeth me anymore. I had to ensure they didn't bite fingers through the cage due to my children in the house. I risked my fingers first.

I have been very lucky with my rats and feeling like prey. It is slightly different as it is a dog. But he really bashes the cage. If i don't check him he will headbutt the cage and run at it should I give him the chance. My rats come to him and egg him on. They will be resting at the closest point to people and then the dog gets close and they come down to his level and run side to side to get his attention. Naughty little things. I'd hope your rats will eventually be braver with your cats too. My rats learned the dog can't get to them and now its one of their favourite games.

Back