Rat's Tail Gone HELP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Angelrattie

I don't really know how it happened but one of my rats tails got caught in the door and broken off. I hadn't closed the door at all and it seemed like a normal feeding session when she all of a sudden started screaming and running in circles. She frightened me and her sisters a lot. The two other girls are so spooked they won't eat near me anymore. I first thought this was a seizure or something along those lines but upon closer inspection it seems the tip of her tail seemed to be degloved and bleeding. I feel absolutely awful. Even though I know it was an accident I still can't help but feel responsible. I don't know what to do. Should I try to bandage it? Should I leave it be? I really need help. I'm very worried.

You need to take her to the vet asap. It can get infected, and probably needs to be removed on the tip and stitched. She also needs pain meds right now. If you don't have any metacam, children's ibuprofen will do. The dosages can be found on www.ratguide.com and look up analgesics. Poor baby! It should also say on there what to do for injuries. Hope she feels better!

I hope you have been able to give her appropriate pain meds and take her to a good vet with the knowledge abd experience to treat rats. She was in a great deal of pain

How is she doing now?

I hope you have been able to give her appropriate pain meds and take her to a good vet with the knowledge abd experience to treat rats. She was in a great deal of pain

How is she doing now?

Oddly she is acting fine. I know she’s probably hurting a lot but she hasn’t really reacted to the others licking her tail or me disinfecting it. She’s still very curious and keeps wanting to come out of the cage. I’m going to try and find a good vet for her.

You need to take her to the vet asap. It can get infected, and probably needs to be removed on the tip and stitched. She also needs pain meds right now. If you don't have any metacam, children's ibuprofen will do. The dosages can be found on www.ratguide.com and look up analgesics. Poor baby! It should also say on there what to do for injuries. Hope she feels better!

Thank you so much for the help! I have been researching pain medication dosages, but I find it very confusing. I don't know which one of these to use: Nuprin, PediaProfen, Children’s Advil, Motrin. Do you have a recommendations? And I don't quite understand the dosages and I'm afraid I may overdose her.

Back