Rats suddenly very nervous

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam

:hello2 Hi,

So I've got two 4-5 month old girls that I've had for about two months. When I got them they were a little shy, but after about a month, they they warmed up to me but were still timid. I have been working on trust training (carrying them around with me around the house in my pocket, purse etc, calling their name and giving treats, lots of free range time and all that sort of stuff) and they were getting more used to me.

About a week ago, they started acting very scared of me. They run from me when I pick them up, (whether inside or out of the cage) they leap from my hands and run like hell. They will still accept treats from me, but they will not COME to me. They have become VERY nervous rats.

The only thing that's changed since I got them is the amount of free range time they get. For the last 2 weeks I've basically let them run loose in my (VERY big) bathroom with the cage door open and accessible to them. They have lots of climbing/ hiding/ exploring places in there. At first they loved the space, now when I open the cage door, they have no interest in coming out. If I take them out, they run to their shelve in the bathroom and hide or sleep. I've been trying to give lots of treats and boost their confidence but they are so scared.

I expected them to be more active, since they're young girls, but they just hangout in the hammock all the time.

They rarely wrestle with each other, but when they do, they don't seem physically injured at all. They also do not seem sick.

Why are they acting like I've beaten them?!

Thanks! :bow:

I've noticed some rats do get nervous around that age. Just keep doing what you're doing and they will come around again.

Yes, sounds like their "fear period".... it's daunting and upsetting for you but they do typically come around. You can always do the forced socialization (down the sweatshirt) thing with them to help bring them around faster.

Yep, I agree, there is a period of being more aware and becoming more skittish at that age... I'd do what Moon recommended... down the shirt they go!

Thanks, it's good to know that this is normal.

When I try to take them out, they get quite frantic. It seems to really upset them when I try to pick them up now. They grab onto things for dear life (bars of the cage, side of nest box, etc). Should I just go ahead and pick them up anyways or will this scare them more?

My kids still fight me when I take them out of the cage. Then they get out and are happy to run around. I'm not in a position where I can just open the doors and let them come out on their own accord, so I HAVE to fight with them sometimes.

Same with me... If I need them to come out for a reason, I grab them no matter how their feel about it.
Make sure to place a hand underneath them when you grab them, their little legs should attach to your hand.

Same with me... If I need them to come out for a reason, I grab them no matter how their feel about it.
Make sure to place a hand underneath them when you grab them, their little legs should attach to your hand.

I used to do that as well but it actually can lead to stress and mistrust. If you really need to take them out then yeah I understand but doing this can in fact make them feel less safe because they are prey animals. Its better to let them come out on their own or at least lure them out with a treat(It'll associate it with good things so taking them out is easier.) its much better for you and your rat.

You might be trying too hard now? I don't know why the sudden change in them, is something stressing You out? If you're nervous or tense or uncertain they're gonna know it! Honestly the biggest thing in Any circumstance with them is to relax. Don't worry about their backslide, they'll just sense that and it will snowball. Just Relax, I'd put them both on my shoulder and walk around with them talking softly to them all the time, carry treats they won't take at first, but when they do after a few trips you've made progress.
When I first take a scared kid I have them on the bed with me while I watch TV, I hold a froot loop in my fingers but don't bother them.. They gradually will come take it (maybe even a few visits) and I let them take it without touching a couple times, then I'll finger-pet their head just once before I release it, then a little more each time..
And laughter when you're talking to them is good, they seem to recognize it as a comforting sound.

Last edited:
Back