Rats Mites Came Back. Absolutely Infuriated.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olympia✨

I honestly can’t believe it:mad:

I went through extensive cleaning, spent loads of money to buy new toys (at least they can all be washed now- no wood!) and spent a tonne on treatments. I even got my carpets and mattress professionally cleaned (since that’s where my boys like to run around.

I have no idea what to do now, I need to wait at least 3 more weeks until I can give them another treatment. Which mind you, costs £60 for both my rats at the vets+ £50 for the actual appointment! I have no idea what I did wrong, everything was cleaned with bleach and vinegar then rinsed so no smell was left behind (including my entire bedroom, where the ratties are.) Where do I go from here? I’m just exhausted, are there even anymore options? Im going to school in about an hour, so thinking I’ll give them a wash with some anti flea/mite shampoo when I get home (even though they absolutely detest it.) I’ll put on the washing now and clean their hammocks (2nd time this week mind you) and all their bedding. I’ll put their hemp toilet filler in the freezer and just hope for the best I guess?

Please, I really need some tips. And if there are any medications I could try that are cheaper than going to the vets, keep in mind I’m in the U.K. so we don’t have all the things some of you may have in the US and such.

I am really desperate now, the mites must have just reinfected because I only see a few eggs around their lower backs. God, I’m just in disbelief.

I have a few thoughts.

1) the eggs could be old and just haven’t sloughed off yet. Do you see any live mites?

2) Revolution is a treatment available and you can order from Australia without a prescription. It kills the mites for over 3 weeks, so even if you don’t overhaul the whole house, they are gone.

3) Much of the time mites come from bedding. If you really do have a reinfestation it likely came either from cage bedding or litter. You can freeze these for 48 hrs after you bring them home from purchasing and it will kill the bugs.

I hope this helped.

I have a few thoughts.

1) the eggs could be old and just haven’t sloughed off yet. Do you see any live mites?

2) Revolution is a treatment available and you can order from Australia without a prescription. It kills the mites for over 3 weeks, so even if you don’t overhaul the whole house, they are gone.

3) Much of the time mites come from bedding. If you really do have a reinfestation it likely came either from cage bedding or litter. You can freeze these for 48 hrs after you bring them home from purchasing and it will kill the bugs.

I hope this helped.

Hi! Thanks for the reply.

I don’t see any live mites or scabs so far, fingers crossed those might just be old eggs. I guess I’ll be able to see in a bit when I give my guys a wash, I’m currently cleaning their cage with a vinegar/thyme solution.

I don’t use loose bedding, I have fleace which I washed on the highest temperature and put it through twice in the washing machine. I have hemp for their toilet though, which is currently being frozen just in case.

As for the revolution, do you know how long it would take to ship? I really want to deal with this ASAP (if they’re not just old eggs.)

I think I’ll also comb them out today, just to get rid of those darn eggs.

What treatment did you use? How often did you give it?
So first lets see if your treatment was adequate or not.

It was prescribed by my vet, I think it was called stronghold. I also treated them with an olive bath before the stronghold and combed out the eggs.

Stronghold IS selamectin (or Revolution). So you got the best treatment. Was it lice or mites you were treating? Lice are visible to the naked eye, and you usually see them over the rump/back to start. Mites you will see as scabs over the neck/shoulders/head they are too small to see. Egg nits are from lice and are glued to the hair shaft and will stay there until hair has fallen out. Selamectin is the most effective treatment as it is effective for 30 days which is longer than the parasites life cycle. You don't need to clean like crazy like you would if you treated with ivermectin.

Stronghold IS selamectin (or Revolution). So you got the best treatment. Was it lice or mites you were treating? Lice are visible to the naked eye, and you usually see them over the rump/back to start. Mites you will see as scabs over the neck/shoulders/head they are too small to see. Egg nits are from lice and are glued to the hair shaft and will stay there until hair has fallen out. Selamectin is the most effective treatment as it is effective for 30 days which is longer than the parasites life cycle. You don't need to clean like crazy like you would if you treated with ivermectin.

My vet said mites, due to the scabs and tiny little yellow specks all over their bodies. Although I now have a feeling they might have been fleas, but never saw any actually move around? :/ Anyway, she said the stronghold works for both pests.

I gave my boys a bath in the medicated rat shampoo any didn’t see any other eggs, fleas or scabs. So I’m hoping that they might have just been old eggs. I had a look through their fur today as well, and all seems clear so far.

I’m still going back for a second dose in 3 weeks though. Just in case haha

upload_2018-5-24_11-53-8.jpeg
upload_2018-5-24_11-53-30.jpeg

Back