Rat's jumping off out of playpen...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nshortfinger

So I have a playpen that is pretty huge made out of cardboard and is about 4 feet high. However, one of my male rats (he's 6 weeks old so still pretty energetic) jumps off of my shoulder to try and get to a bigger play area. The other one just enjoys sleeping right below my chin. I know Shadow the Rat on YouTube made a video that taught her rats to climb to her shoulder in order to be released from playtime, but I feel that my rats are really comfortable on my shoulder and I don't want them to feel scared of getting on my shoulder if I take them away from play time. Does anyone have another way to teach your ratties to not attempt to jump out?

Make your shoulder fun-- i.e. like lots of valueable treats. My heart rat, Gideon, would leap from the cage to my shoulder because he always got puffs there.
Don't make your shoulder the "bad place" by only ever taking them away from something while riding on your shoulder. That'll cause a negative association. We want a neutral or positive association, so whenever they climb on your shoulder, give them a treat.

As for the playpen issue, try adding new things every so often a new toy, a maze, a new hide, etc. Rats get bored just like us and they may be eager to explore because stuff outside the playpen is fun.

Thank you so much! Today I placed a light sheet over the top and it did lower my anxiety just a bit. And speaking more fun things...I put about over a dozen ping pong balls into the playpen today and a few jingle cat balls and they were amused for a good 45 minutes until they fell asleep in my hoodie pocket. I love seeing their excitement with new things!

My rats don't seem to care much for their jingle balls, but they do love their little pool I gave them.

I've heard of other people using a tupperware container and filling it up with crumpled paper. I'm thinking of trying it.

Back