Rats In Pajamas!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anna Allison

I don't know what to do!! I literally have rats in my pajamas. Last night I opened my pj drawers to find a litter of the cutest, tiniest, most adorable baby rats. They couldn't have been more than a couple of days old. I shut my drawer not wanting to disturb them, but what do I do now? No, this litter did not come from one of my own rats. My rats must have told this pregnant outside rat that this was a friendly rat house and to come in in. Surely my rats didn't tell her to shred my pajamas to pieces cause that's exactly what she did.
So if anyone knows what I can do, besides but new pj's, please let me know.

oh my I can't really help with the baby wildies, but I did want to say, what a surprise!!

there's folks on this forum who can give you advice so hold on and someone will probably be along shortly

Please do not disturb them …. because they have almost no chance of survival without their mama.
Hopefully she will continue to care for them
I hope you will be able to tell if their mama is caring for them … maybe sprinkle some flour on the floor so you can see if she is entering the dresser to care for them

You might want to leave out good healthy food and water for their mama in a safe place where she will find it

Their mama could be a wild rat, she may also be an abandoned pet rat …… if she is a pet rat, that would explain her choice of a nesting place

If mama does not return, please let us know
also see the info I posted here https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/orphan-babies.35648/page-2#post-495807

If mama does not return then the best chance they have at surviving is a foster mama - to be made to smell like a litter of babies and added to a pet rats litter - but it is almost impossible to find a nursing foster mama with litter so pray that their mama will continue to care for them

Please let us know what happens

Last edited:
Sorry it took me so long to respond I've had the dropsy lately. I didn't bother the babies but the next day I peeped in on them and mom had moved them. This made me kind of sad but at the same time relieved. It had to be an outside rat or mouse as I live out in the country and there is only one visible neighbor and the only rats she has are the field mice that keep coming in her home. But I've wrote down the link to the orphan-babies to have just in case. Thanks.

You are welcome
Thank you for letting us know what happened.
I am so glad that they still have their mama to care for them

Last edited:
Back