The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Animeratmomma

Hello last night my husband and I came home and found one of our babies(Uno) (Disturbing warning) eating the body of his brother (Nico.) After the initial shock and anger we realized (Nico) had died of something else and that the brother (Uno) eating him was a natural response to death and greiving in rat family groups. So we forgave him and tried to move on while we mourned. However this morning another rat (Albie) in an entirely different cage was also found dead this morning. His brother Saitama did not try to eat him but does seem not like himself. Is it depression or is he sick too?? I am trying to figure out how two rats died so soon after the other. Im worried about my other babies! I'm down to three out of five in what was only a few hours! We did change their litter to Yesterday's news recently I am worried they ate some of that maybe. Or maybe the food was bad? I'm just worried and can't get the three remaining rats to the vet last minute on a Sunday. (note rats were in different cages because as in-tact Boys they all fought pretty bad with the four together so we put two in one big cage (Nico Uno), two in another (Albie, Saitama) and The last rat Scabbers by himself because he kills other rats and has to live alone. That worked wonderfully and everyone got along. Until now when they started dying, That being said Scabbers is acting the best out of the three so maybe it was something the four boys gave to each other when they were all together before?

It could also be airborn disease or their heart or a stroke. There are many things it could be.
How old are they?
How is their breathing? Any effort? What do you hear when you hold each up to your ear and listen to both sides of their chest (rat phone).
Can you post some pictures showing their faces?
Any swelling?
Any change in behaviour?
Any illnesses in the last few months? Have they been around other rats?

A vet appointment with a good vet who has the knowledge and experience to treat rats asap.
BTW most aggression in male rats is hormonal, and a neuter usually solves the problem and greatly improves the quality of their lives.
So if you have access to a good vet with the knowledge and experience to safely neuter rats, it would be a good idea.

Back