Rats color fading really quickly :/

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Car

Hi, sorry if this is a stupid question, but I don't suppose anyone knows why my new little rat's coat is fading? He's gone from almost black to silvery light grey in a week. hes mismarked Berkshire I think, its only on his back, his head is still dark. Its also very patchy looking... I thought he was a dark Russian blue but now im not sure... Hes also getting quite round... oh im so confused :s

How old is he? It could be a baby fur molt (change of weather does this in other animals as well, makes them shed). Often the baby fur is more soft, and slightly different color than their adult fur. Can you post pics?

can you post a pic of your wee one? The first adult molt can change a coat colour quite a lot and starts about 6-7 weeks of age, but you also may have a silvermane and they have a very drastic change in appearance. I'll try to dig up pics of silvermanes for you.

Baby (some are darker, others less blue)
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sou...aw2bB06lA6Q58CaE9HAuV8w1&ust=1574275721393696

typical adult Silvermane

Back