Rats and Singing

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maria-mar

My rats like to hear me sing. They line up close to the cage bars and brux and boggle listening to it. I am the worse singer ever xD

Sometimes i sing silly made up songs about ratties when i pick them up and kiss them. Maybe that's why they like to hear me? They think there'll be a treat?

Have any of you here tried it? What were the rats reactions?

I used to sing to Dudley Do-bite and he used to calm down and would sit in his cage listening intently. I find singing quietly, silly songs or not, can calm a nervous rat, or just make them happy :)

I don't know whether mine like it -- they are a captive audience :) -- but I often sing to them when I am transporting them somewhere. I keep thinking that the sound of my voice would be comforting when they are hearing road noise. I'll have to try singing to them at home.

Seriously?? that's the most adorable thing!
I've sung to them a few times before and keep meaning to again but then forgetting. I have to admit, when I did it before they looked at me as if to say 'what the hell!?' maybe my singing is reeeeeeally bad. I'll have to be persistent - I don't think there could be anything more heartwarming!

You must all post 'singing to Rats' videos! lol :))

I sing aaaallll the time because I love karaokes on youtube and I play guitar and have a bit of a wail too, and I always tend to see my boys sitting at the nearest point of the cage to me just watching and bruxxing too! Ratties must have an ear for music :p

Totally got each girl to boggle today by singing :) Although, I just read that they can sometimes boggle 'to comfort themselves' - how do I know if they were boggling because my singing terrified them or because it made them happy? lol.

mine ADORE it and I am a horrible singer. I purposely sing badly too, because that's how I sing to my dogs. (they adore it too. especially my shy dog. I always calm him down and get him to play by talking and singing in weird voices to him.)

it always gets even the laziest rat to the bars to socialize :D

That's amazing... I noticed that one day while I was cleaning in the rat room and singing, my boys were closely watching and bruxing away... they had never bruxed for me before (I hadn't had them for long) and they seemed to love hearing it... I can carry a tune to save my life, lol, but they seemed to just love it! You're not the only one. :D :D

Haha, this is so cute!
It's funny how they like it.
Mine love the classical music station. I make sure to put it on for them in the morning. They come out and lounge around near to the radio and listen and brux and boggle and groom one and other.
They're remarkable little creatures!

The girls developed a love for the 'O Brother Where art thou' soundtrack on holiday, lol. Actually, thanks for this thread because i've been singing to Griff to cheer her up when she's unwell, it's great knowing I can do something, even if it's only a little thing.

It's so strange though! I wonder what they love so much about music? maybe with Griff recently it's just knowing that i'm there and all is well, but they really do seem to love me singing anyway!

I don't know, but i remember something about chickens and classical music... some aviaries would have classical music playing all day, and it would improve the eggs production! So maybe whatever makes those chickens enjoy music is making rats and dogs enjoy it too! I wonder if there's studies on this...

Back