Rats and other pets living together?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tibbles

hi all! I’m not sure where to post this but I figured here is okay. I have 6 rats which a few months ago I introduced to my kitten (always closely supervised of course) . They get along amazing and he is very gentle with all of them and seems to understand that they are delicate. I was wondering if it’s also possible for rats to live in harmony with ferrets? I love to give all my pets plenty of free roaming time and would love to have a new addition. Thankyou all for your messages!

no, they should not even be in the same home!!
Ferrets will kill rats .......…. and rats are terrified of them and their scent
Ferrets can not be trusted in the same home as small rodents such as rats
Wait to get a pair of ferrets after your rats have all passed away

Cats and kittens have saliva containing bacteria that will kill rats and other small rodents, plus their instinct is to bat at anything that moves.
It is not safe to put them together

Rats are either predators ( birds, mice hamsters, even rabbits, etc) or prey (large birds, rabbits, ferrets, cats, dogs, reptiles etc). It is never safe to mix rats with another species …. and there is no justification for risking lives in this way.

The only possible exception is a nursing mama rat (or mouse) with litter and an orphaned baby mouse etc - and that does not always end well

Last edited:
Back