rat with rectal prolapse, please help!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

concernedratscream

hello! as read in the title, i believe my rat may have a mild to moderate rectal prolapse and i am extremely worried on what exactly to do.

i am a first time rat owner, currently owning two for almost three months. they’ve been completely fine during these three months, as i’ve been so concerned about their health and things like that. any sneeze or chirp would immediately make me assume they had some sort of disease and think of the worst. now though, i’m sure it’s not just in my head.

Ranch, my white rat, I believe has a mild to moderate rectal prolapse. her anus is swollen and red, and she won’t clean the fur around it. it’s constantly a light shade of brown and she won’t let me clean it away. she’s also pooping a lot more than usual and they never harden. i originally thought it was because i was feeding them too many treats, so now i’m refusing to give them any and only letting Ranch eat the nutritional pellets and drink as much water as she can.

how exactly can i help her? i’m scared i may be overreacting, or she may actually have the illness and it could get to severe if i don’t do anything. i’m going to try and wash her anus, but she’s not exactly too friendly and that may be a problem with biting and running away.

if you read through this mess, thank you!! i’m just really worried and concerned <:”)

can you post a pic? An actual rectal prolapse is serious and a vet visit will be needed with an experienced vet. It sounds like she has diarrhea? What treats were you feeding?

EECC1C07-37B9-45EA-8873-C4ED5F6F0A0F.jpeg
A459A193-ABD3-44EA-8779-6034602BC21F.jpeg
can you post a pic? An actual rectal prolapse is serious and a vet visit will be needed with an experienced vet. It sounds like she has diarrhea? What treats were you feeding?

i’ve included two pictures of the problem area, i apologize for the nasty imagery. it’s so weird, i don’t know what happened! this only started a few days ago and i’m not sure exactly what to do! i don’t know where to find a vet around me to take care of this, and i’m hoping i’m simply overreacting and can try a home remedy?

the treats i were feeding her were Kaytee Strawberry Yo Chips for a while, but after i ran out of those, I switched to Yogies on Ecotrition brand. Once I started Yogies, this happened. I might’ve been feeding them too many a day or something, but now I’ve completely stopped and I’m not sure how to fix her.

Looks like severe diarrhea, but i would get her to a vet asap. I wish i could send you some of my BeneBac powder and Metronidazole pills bit it would take too long. There is a condition called "Wettail", but im not sure that is a rat disease or not. But the goid news is... It doesn't look like a prolapse IMO. Check her to be sure shes not dehydrated, pinch her skin and see if it immediately springs back or slowly goes back. If its slow, shes dehydrated. Either way, she should get some meds for it, its prerry serious. And it could be from ingesting bacteria. Wash her off as best as you can so she doesnt. And if she wont let you? Hold her under running water or in a bowl of water while you massage her affected area. Her licking herself to clean it will continue a cycle i believe, and so she has to be cleaned. Dont use any detergent like Dawn or that will make it worse. She hasnt ever been cleaned with Dawn has she? If so, thats the possible issue since she eould uave recleaned herself, ingested any remnants of the Dawn, and gotten diarrhea. Anyway, i would get to the vet asap.If you cant within the next few days, i could send you some BeneBac powder. But a vet would probably be best.

Last edited:
BTW... My rats all have been having some issues with diarrhea or loose stools. Theres many possibilities, but the biggest reason i believe is the weather. Stick to rat blocks so other treats that can spoil dont get stashed and go bad. Wash their water bottle daily, clean their cage daily, keep the temp from becoming too hot (i have AC on at all times during the hot months), dont clean ANYTHING with detergents like Dawn dishsoap, and if you do wash their bowls with it, rinse it 100% (detergents give terrible diarrhea, even just a tiny filmy spot on a dish could have you living on the toilet), and be vigilant about bacterial gut flora being off. Do you have any probiotics? Yogurt with probiotics might be worth a try since its easy to get from any supermarket. I would try treating her at home immediately but if that doesnt clear up in a couple days, she will need to see a vet. And check her hydration throuout the next couple days. I really think she has been licking herself and has a bacterial infection in her gastointestinal tract or stomach. Im no expert tho, best to get professional advice.

BTW, did i mention to rinse her off very well with warm water and carefully pat her dry? She looks sore too so be gentle. You gotta stop her from cleaning it off herself. Its gonna be tedious, but papee towels down in her cage so its easy to see so you can clean it up easily and immediately. Every time she soils herself, quickly rinse her off, pat her dry, and change the paper towels. Rat blocks only i think is best, and good gut flora production might be a help, and if she starts getting dehydrated, youll have to reassesss the situation. Thats all i really can think of.

So i looked up wettail. It is more serious than i thought, and death can occur in 24-48 hours! You can buy the treatment at any pet shop, its caused by a bacteria and stress. IMO? She might just have it, it sure looks like wettail to me. You should get the treatment right now just to be safe. I would anyway. Or else i would be at my vet at 8am. Wettail is serious.... https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet-tail
Amazon has 2 day delivery, but thats too long, i sseriouse woul go immediately to Petsmart to get this, better safe than sorry... https://www.amazon.com/Drops-Liquid...ords=wet+tail&qid=1565220106&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Last edited:
So i looked up wettail. It is more serious than i thought, and death can occur in 24-48 hours! You can buy the treatment at any pet shop, its caused by a bacteria and stress. IMO? She might just have it, it sure looks like wettail to me. You should get the treatment right now just to be safe. I would anyway. Or else i would be at my vet at 8am. Wettail is serious.... https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet-tail
Amazon has 2 day delivery, but thats too long, i sseriouse woul go immediately to Petsmart to get this, better safe than sorry... https://www.amazon.com/Drops-Liquid...ords=wet+tail&qid=1565220106&s=gateway&sr=8-1

I’ve been suspecting Wet Tail for a while, but she’s showing a few signs that make me think against it. She’s had this issue with her tail for almost four days, and she hasn’t been showing any signs of lethargy. Plus, she’s still eating and drinking a lot, and still active.

Also, my second rat hasn’t shown any signs of infection at all. But, I’m going to go and get medicine and hope for the best. Thank you all for your help.

Wet tail is a very serious disease that hamsters get
Rats do not get wet tail !
Never give medication from a pet store as it can kill. EDIT: to clarify, a number of medications sold at pet stores have harmed or killed pets.

re diet and nutrition please see the links in the Reference Thread https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/reference-thread-read-only.35894/

Is her stomach bloated?
Can you post some pictures showing her abdomen from the side and also from the front?
Does she also experience constipation?
Is she on any medications?

as Lilspaz68 said, it seems to be diarrhea,
if it is then her diet may be the culprit.
It is possible that eating a small amount of canned pumpkin (Not pumpkin pie filling) might help
Hopefully Lilspaz68 will get back to you soon as she is extremely well informed and experienced when it comes to health issues with rats

Suggested treatment for diarrhea can be found in the Reference Thread - do not give the BRAT diet if her stomach is bloated.
Diarrhea
…… the BRAT diet - Banana, Rice (brown is best) , Applesauce and Toast
…… canned pureed pumpkin (Not canned pumpkin pie filling)
…… probiotics but not within 2 hours of giving antibiotics
Some people have found that giving an unsalted cracker can help as well

Last edited:
Never give medication from a pet store as it can kill.

re diet and nutrition please see the links in the Reference Thread https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/reference-thread-read-only.35894/

Is her stomach bloated?
Can you post some pictures showing her abdomen from the side and also from the front?

as Lilspaz68 said, it looks like diarrhea, if it is then her diet is likely the culprit.
It is possible that eating a small amount of canned pumpkin (Not pumpkin pie filling) might help
Hopefully Lilspaz68 will get back to you soon as she is extremely informed and experienced when it comes to health issues with rats

Suggested treatment for diarrhea can be found in the Reference Thread - do not give the BRAT diet if her stomach is bloated.

From the pictures I’ve included, I don’t believe she’s bloated? Of course, she’s a little chunky when she’s scrunched up, but she’s pretty skinny when she’s not and walking around.

Rats can’t get wet tail? It’s only a hamster illness? That’s a big sigh of relief! I’ve seen some sources state other types of rodents can get it, but I honestly have no idea at this point. I’m just really scared for my Ranch.

I don’t believe she’s experiencing constipation due to the fact she poops everywhere, and they’re very light brown and wet. And I haven’t put them on any medicine before, I only put 1/2 a teaspoon of Bene-Bac Plus in their water bottle today.

Attachments

• ECDDEE60-82BF-4F9F-B0A7-BF01A33E280F.jpeg
    ECDDEE60-82BF-4F9F-B0A7-BF01A33E280F.jpeg
    32.1 KB · Views: 201
  • BA40A329-03CF-4D8E-8851-4E9F44A26C5E.jpeg
    BA40A329-03CF-4D8E-8851-4E9F44A26C5E.jpeg
    29.6 KB · Views: 193
  • C9A1C3F4-E71B-4210-ACDC-6DB8EFA2B8C9.jpeg
    C9A1C3F4-E71B-4210-ACDC-6DB8EFA2B8C9.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 260
Never give medication from a pet store as it can kill.

Is her stomach bloated?

as Lilspaz68 said, it looks like diarrhea, if it is then her diet is likely the culprit.
Hopefully Lilspaz68 will get back to you soon as she is extremely informed and experienced when it comes to health issues with rats

All rodents can get wettail. Its just known as a hamster disease because the particular bacyeria is only contracted by hamsters, but all rodents can get a similar disease, commonly referred to as wettail. And ive bought fishmox from a pet store so whats wrong with that? Youre logic is flawed sometimes. Heres the skinny on "wettail"... Its basically just diarrhea but it is caused by a bacteria and MAINLY affects young hamsters, but CAN affect ALL rodents. It is caused by a bacteria, and is seen in rodents that have a stressor, such as overhandling or new environment, but can be anything which is stressful for the animal. So thats that. And SQ, i iay not be on here non-stop as you are able to be. Unfortunately I have to work, spend time with my SO, daughter, etc, and tend to my many rats, the majority of which are "special needs" cases and demand a lot of my time and attention. That said, i would not give any bad advice, and getting a medication from a pet store or online is not bad advice. If my rats needed some cold medication, i would run out and buy some, whats wrong with that? I think you need to stop monitoring my comments and worry about your own ill-advised ones.

Last edited:
Rats do not get wet tail. I wouldn't put the benebac in her water but sprinkle the powder on some moist food. I would also put her on the BRAT diet. It's very easy for a rat to digest. The benebac is a probiotic that should help her gut flora. What does the wet stuff smell like?

Rats do not get wet tail. I wouldn't put the benebac in her water but sprinkle the powder on some moist food. I would also put her on the BRAT diet. It's very easy for a rat to digest. The benebac is a probiotic that should help her gut flora. What does the wet stuff smell like?
Any bacterial infection causing severe diarrhea in rodents has always been referred to as wettail. The particular strain of bacteria that kills hamsters is the technical definition of wettail. Theres 2 schools of thought, and whenever i see a rat with severe diarrhea from a bacterial infection, its called wettail. But rats dont get the particular bacteria that kills hamsters. They DO get a bacterial infection resulting in severe diarrhea though, it just doesn't kill a rat as it does a hamster, at least not as fast. And BTW, what would you expect the "wet stuff" to smell like!?!?
And i i give my rats Metronidazole when they get diarrhea this severe, as well as BeneBac on their food.

Rocket, if you want to battle it out let's go. I don't use wikipedia, I use my vet, experience, citing medical articles and ratguide.com.

As for "wet tail"... (From https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAGegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw0IktDxBgxO4k_50ts8OXNb)
Diarrhea may occur in Syrian hamsters of any age and is known as “wet tail,” although this euphemism is frequently used to describe the disease in young hamsters. Proliferative ileitis is the most significant intestinal disease of 3- to 10-wk old Syrian hamsters and results in high mortality. It is caused by the intracellular bacterium Lawsonia intracellularis. Treatment involves correcting life-threatening electrolyte imbalance and dehydration, administering antibiotics, and force feeding. Several antibiotic treatments are recommended, including doxycycline (5–10 mg/kg, PO, bid for 5–7 days), enrofloxacin (10 mg/kg, PO or IM, bid for 5–7 days), and trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (30 mg/kg, PO, bid for 5–7 days). Symptomatic treatment with bismuth subsalicylate may be given if diarrhea persists. Replacement electrolyte and glucose solutions should be given orally, and electrolyte fluid replacement such as saline or lactated Ringer's solution should be given at a dosage of 20 mL/100 g body wt once daily. Sequelae of proliferative ileitis in surviving Syrian hamsters may include eventual obstruction, intussusception, or rectal prolapse.

Clostridium difficile , gross lesions, hamster
clostridium-difficile-gross-lesions-hamster-exlha28-high.jpg

COURTESY OF DR. J. GLENN SONGER.
Diarrhea in adult Syrian hamsters is associated with Clostridium difficileenterotoxemia and, as in guinea pigs, may occur 3–5 days after administration of antibiotics such as penicillin, lincomycin, or bacitracin.

The discharge doesn't look like a standard diarrhea which should smell foul (bacteria). Just trying to determine what's going on here. As for the BRAT diet, see if some rice and toast help firm up the poop she is having. Check for bloat, gently feel her belly and feel for lumps inside.

I think you need to stop monitoring my comments and worry about your own ill-advised ones.

I do not monitor posts by anyone.
I respond to questions when I am able and try to read all of the responses people have posted. This helps me to be better informed and hopefully better able to make a helpful response.

Rocket, if you want to battle it out let's go. I don't use wikipedia, I use my vet, experience, citing medical articles and ratguide.com.

As for "wet tail"... (From https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAGegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw0IktDxBgxO4k_50ts8OXNb)
Diarrhea may occur in Syrian hamsters of any age and is known as “wet tail,” although this euphemism is frequently used to describe the disease in young hamsters. Proliferative ileitis is the most significant intestinal disease of 3- to 10-wk old Syrian hamsters and results in high mortality. It is caused by the intracellular bacterium Lawsonia intracellularis. Treatment involves correcting life-threatening electrolyte imbalance and dehydration, administering antibiotics, and force feeding. Several antibiotic treatments are recommended, including doxycycline (5–10 mg/kg, PO, bid for 5–7 days), enrofloxacin (10 mg/kg, PO or IM, bid for 5–7 days), and trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (30 mg/kg, PO, bid for 5–7 days). Symptomatic treatment with bismuth subsalicylate may be given if diarrhea persists. Replacement electrolyte and glucose solutions should be given orally, and electrolyte fluid replacement such as saline or lactated Ringer's solution should be given at a dosage of 20 mL/100 g body wt once daily. Sequelae of proliferative ileitis in surviving Syrian hamsters may include eventual obstruction, intussusception, or rectal prolapse.

Clostridium difficile , gross lesions, hamster
clostridium-difficile-gross-lesions-hamster-exlha28-high.jpg

COURTESY OF DR. J. GLENN SONGER.
Diarrhea in adult Syrian hamsters is associated with Clostridium difficileenterotoxemia and, as in guinea pigs, may occur 3–5 days after administration of antibiotics such as penicillin, lincomycin, or bacitracin.

The discharge doesn't look like a standard diarrhea which should smell foul (bacteria). Just trying to determine what's going on here. As for the BRAT diet, see if some rice and toast help firm up the poop she is having. Check for bloat, gently feel her belly and feel for lumps inside.

She doesn’t feel too bloated or anything, and I’ve been feeding her some toast and applesauce! Plus, I think the medicine might’ve helped due to the fact she’s cleaned up a bit around her anus, but it still looks odd.

As you can see from the pictures, it looks swollen and the fur around the area is gone? Will this grow back and will the swelling go down? This only happened today, and it looks like progress, but I’m still concerned and spooked. <“:(

Attachments

• E7E92E13-1085-41A2-810C-A2C6A454AC0C.jpeg
    E7E92E13-1085-41A2-810C-A2C6A454AC0C.jpeg
    28.9 KB · Views: 245
  • C9769782-02A7-4E4E-959C-DF285FB3BEA1.jpeg
    C9769782-02A7-4E4E-959C-DF285FB3BEA1.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 219
  • E33E6AAE-EC84-4FFB-808D-FB44CDA80212.jpeg
    E33E6AAE-EC84-4FFB-808D-FB44CDA80212.jpeg
    37.5 KB · Views: 200
I would also add in rice as that will help firm up her poop. Does it smell foul or not too bad?

I suppose I would say “not too bad”? It only really smells once i get close to the cage to clean it. Mostly her bottom side smells the most. :confused:

With the foul smell you are probably looking at a bacterial infection, and she really does need a vet and antibiotics. You could try the BRAT diet and the benebac for a few more days to see if it resolves but I would start looking for a vet just in case.

With the foul smell you are probably looking at a bacterial infection, and she really does need a vet and antibiotics. You could try the BRAT diet and the benebac for a few more days to see if it resolves but I would start looking for a vet just in case.
What specific ABs would you recommend for a gastointestinal bacterial infection once BeneBac hasnt succeeded? Metronidazole? Curious as one of my guys has has very soft stools since arriving.

Back